Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

DlVERGENT
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by DlVERGENT »

I didn't like this book, to be honest, I was especially disappointed by the way it ends, I was expecting a huge plot twist but it never came, I didn't feel close to the characters and I felt nothing while reading it.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
wanderingmuses
Favorite Author: Too many.
Favorite Book: Way too many.
Currently Reading: The Darkest Minds.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanderingmuses.html

Post by wanderingmuses »

I thought it was an interesting read but I also felt like Hannah could've handled certain situations better. As a character, Hannah got on my nerves often throughout the book. I understand how it's a sensitive topic but at the same time, I can't fathom how some of the reasons that were petty reasons could be blown out of proportion like that. It was an easy read and you wanted to keep reading it but not one I would read again.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I was really moved by this book. I've heard/read opinions from people who feel that Hannah took things too far or made too big of a deal of little situations. However, I think she was suffering from depression. The thing about depression is that it chemically alters your brain and makes you feel like your world is coming crashing down. If you don't seek help, it can easily lead to your demise. Part of the problem are the people around you who keep wanting you to just cheer up or get over it. It's not that simple.
This book also made me reflect on my own time as a teen, when my whole life was shaped by school and my friends. Because those were at the center of my orbit, any bad thing that happened (someone figuratively stabbing me in the back; failing a big exam), that event had a major impact on my entire worldview.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I wasn't really expecting a whole lot from this book, but was surprised by how deep it got. The concept of Hannah's entire character being revealed over a series of tapes was incredibly original, and I very much enjoyed the tension and suspense that those tapes brought to the story. Had it just been a letter or a movie or something like that it would have been something that we would have all glossed over because we are desensitized to these types of communication, but to use tapes, something that needed a special player to be heard and was more of a relic and not easy to hide as the main character carried them around was a very nice allusion to the fact that suicide itself is something that is difficult to hide when you are carrying around that thought inside of you.

I thought that Hannah was a little melodramatic, but then again anyone who is in the mindset of ending their own life, and further seeing it as a good idea would be melodramatic in nature anyway because they would not be in their right mind. Their reality is an illusion. They are seeing something that does not exist. And I am saying this as someone who has been in this mindset before. You see what you feel you have to see, and it's only one thing: desperation. A desperation for the torment you feel, whether others see it or not, to end. And you spend so much time trying to end it, mostly silently to everyone else, but to you, every move you make is a scream for the nightmare to end. Until you are pushed to the point where the only way it will end is if you end too. This book proves this perfectly. The characters may be predictable, but if we think about it, it horribly sad that this type of character, a character who's whole identity revolves around taking her own like is predictable to us. This should be something we are shocked by, not something we expect, and I feel that is the exact point that Jay Asher was trying to make, and to me, that point was made.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
lilly thiele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilly-thiele.html

Post by lilly thiele »

I didn't think Hannah overreacted at all. I mean, we all have those days every little thing that goes even slightly wrong feels like an extra planet on your shoulders. You could feel that as well through the story. It was hopeless and tragic.
lilly thiele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilly-thiele.html

Post by lilly thiele »

Also, Jay Asher's other book, The Future of Us, is good as well.
lilmissmusicz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilmissmusicz.html

Post by lilmissmusicz »

My best friend showed me this book and I couldn't put it down. It was extremely emotional for me as there was a lot of things I could identify with from multiple characters. The author did a great job of showing off the theme, and I felt exposed the fact that a lot of time people can scream for help and we refuse to listen.
ssued2894
Currently Reading: The Guilt Club
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssued2894.html
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh

Post by ssued2894 »

It has been a while since I read this book. What I can say about it is that I loved it and could not stop reading it. It was such a good read for me. It was very sad and touching and in a way I could relate to the character. I can see why some may not have liked this book because it does put off the vibe of it was everyone else's fault and suicide was okay. However, I do not feel this way, it was just her trying to explain to everyone why she made the choice that she made and that really touched my heart. I think I am going to read this book again :)
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh
11-22-63sk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-11-22-63sk.html

Post by 11-22-63sk »

All I know is this book made me cry....I am not a crier
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

This definitely is a book that you have to be prepared for, but I loved the format. I'd honestly love to listen to the audio book through. It's just a great book and it explores complicated and scary ideas that people try not to think about. It also makes you look at yourself and your own choices.

-- 26 Oct 2014, 00:03 --

This definitely is a book that you have to be prepared for, but I loved the format. I'd honestly love to listen to the audio book through. It's just a great book and it explores complicated and scary ideas that people try not to think about. It also makes you look at yourself and your own choices.
Tereseweng

Post by Tereseweng »

It's an amazing book, and it just shows how much bullying can effect a person. :cry:
bookie-ashren

Post by bookie-ashren »

I read this book a couple years back and it made me really emotional. It was also my saviour as I was going through a rough time and it made me start to appreciate the good things in life. I believe it was well written and properly delivered.
aclark02
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aclark02.html

Post by aclark02 »

I love this book. I've had battles with depression among other things in the past, so this novel really struck me. I found the characters to be very realistic. Although the story is intense and at times cryptic, I think it does a great job of teaching that we don't really notice how the little things we do affect people. I recommend this book to anyone, especially teens. I think it has the potential to make people thing about bullying and their actions.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I read this book this my last year of high school, I thought it was really great and it taught a lot of good lessons
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
MelDenton

Post by MelDenton »

This book is one of my favorites. I feel like it was fast paced, and I practically devoured it, but, I'm not saying that what the character felt wasn't a big deal to her, I feel that the reasons she had for doing what she did were a bit superficial.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”