biography recommendation?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fay
Bookshelf Size: 0

biography recommendation?

Post by fay »

Hi there I just joined the forum can anyone recommend a good biography
BookwormService

Post by BookwormService »

Margaret Cheney's biography of Nikola Tesla is a fascinating read. It is titled "Tesla: Man Out of Time." I tried to put a link up to a description on BookwormService com but this site wont let me.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Yeah its restricted..
Lennoc

Post by Lennoc »

Any clues about what kind of biography you'd like to read? Explorers, musicians, actors, politicians, ... there's a lot of choice.

A few I've liked:

The worst journey in the world - written by a man (Aspley Cherry-Gerrard) who was on Scott's expedition to the S. Pole.

P.G. Wodehouse A biography (by Donaldson) - probably only of interest if you're a Wodehouse fan.

Frida: A biography of Frida Kahlo (Herrara) - I have no liking of her art at all but I enjoyed this book.

Also, I know they're for kids but I absolutely love all the Little House on the Prarie series. It is fascinating to me to read about how life was back then (albeit in a highly sanitised sense).
Krae855

Post by Krae855 »

if you're still looking, I'd recommend Ingrid Bergman's autobiography, it's one of my favorites :)
Escliz

Post by Escliz »

I personally like Michael Jackson´s biography. It was very interesting for me. I highly recommend it if you want to seriously understand the guy.
Carusmm

Post by Carusmm »

The Devil Drives: A Life of Sir Richard Burton by Fawn M. Brodie. I read it a long time ago but it impressed me at the time. Brodie seemed to have had a very understanding attitude towards her subject and knew how to tell a tale.
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

Capone The man and the era - Laurence Bergreen.

I found this book to be very interested. Al Capone was one ruthless yet somewhat endearing man.
Nigella

Post by Nigella »

I recently saw George Bush his biography in the stores, half tempted to read it because I am not keen on the man but am curious about his story you know. But I can not recommend it yet.
GoldieCL

Post by GoldieCL »

I'm almost done with Schiff's new biography on Cleopatra. Well well-written, and as someone who majored in the Classics, I'd say it's also very well researched.
Artmusicliterature

Post by Artmusicliterature »

If you like biographies with political and historical undertones I would suggest Mao's Last Dancer.
kg211970
Favorite Author: Tara Hyland
Favorite Book: Daughters of Fortune
Currently Reading: Black Jewels Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3001

Post by kg211970 »

If you like biographies, you should read the J. Edgar Hoover Biography.... very interesting and informative ..... It's called J Edgar Hoover : The Man & The Secrets..... I reveled in this book, couldn't put it down...... such a great bio....
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

For me, the fascination with biographies is hard to understand. It's someone else's interpretation of someone else's life. And it has to be read as part fiction. Even an autobiography may be slightly skewed but at least it's personal.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

Maud Fitch wrote:For me, the fascination with biographies is hard to understand. It's someone else's interpretation of someone else's life. And it has to be read as part fiction. Even an autobiography may be slightly skewed but at least it's personal.
I agree with you. Often when there is book 'based on a true story' or even if it states that it is a 'biographical account', you often have to wonder how much is embellished. I had a recommendation to read Shantaram which is based on a true story apparently. It's sounds like a great book but I'll be wary to believe everything I read as something that actually happened.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”