A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dbreeds
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dbreeds »

1000 Splendid Suns was an addictive read. However, knowing the culture it is about and the unfair practices that happen in that region, it can be eye-opening and somewhat depressing (I'm trying hard not to give away details!)

I personally enjoyed the Kite Runner more. The story was less depressing. Both are very well written and give a glimpse of what life can be like on another part of the planet.
Kay

Post by Kay »

I read it and liked it but I liked Kite Runner more. On a subconscious level I was disappointed at the main characters' lack of control over their lives. I know that this was precisely the very point the author was trying to make (show the readers the tough lives of women of that time in Afghanistan) -- and yet, I cannot help liking the book slightly less because of that.

Which isn't to say it isn't a great book, of course :)
bookyoo

Post by bookyoo »

i liked kite runner more, but this is nonetheless as entertaining and uplifting as the previous one. i also liked the fact that this book is about women :D
Delph

Post by Delph »

I've read first the kite runner then 1000 splendid suns, and I liked both, with a preference for the second one. I learned a lot about what append in Afghanistan, between the Russian occupation and the dictate of the Talibans. And what amazed me is that a country can loose its liberty and know a big regression of the human rights, and it really scared me. At the same time we are offered a wonderful story of friendship, trust and solidarity between this 2 women facing a disgusting man. Of course I cried a lot and it's not the king of book to read if you are already a bit depressed, and I don't really don't understand why I enjoy so much this kind of books ;-)
I also liked the kite runner, but the cowardice of the boy was sometime getting on my nerves and I wanted to enter in the book and tell him not to act like that. At the same time the author let us understand how and why he had these reactions and I just felt sad for him.

To conclude, I've recommended both books to all the readers I know!
lhargrave89

Post by lhargrave89 »

I really liked A Thousand Splendid Suns. I had to read it for school but it was really good. I read it in like two days. I think you will enjoy it.
ThomasRA1950

Post by ThomasRA1950 »

I haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, but I read The Kite Runner, which was a wonderful read.
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

I have read both and loved them. I have actually been to Afghanistan twice and found it very educational to see life from their perspective rather what I witnessed myself. A great insight.
thus19

Post by thus19 »

Read it and loved it. It gave me some insight into a completely different and strange (as in unknown) world. It doesn't enable me to judge the Afghan society, but maybe to understand a little more about how it works; its rules and its history.
Definitely recommended, not only but also to politically interested readers.
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

I agree with Susanna!
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

I read this book and it's amazing. I prefered The Kite Runner better because it shows how a man suffer or goes through hardships in Afghanistan. A Thousand Splendid Suns shows how a woman suffers in Afghanistan. There both great novels so I suggest after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns read The Kite Runner.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

The kite runner and A thousand splendid suns were in my upcoming reads but after reading all the good reviews, i would try to get them and read them as soon as possible... Can't wait to comment about the stories, really!
YellowButterfly85

Post by YellowButterfly85 »

I thought both books were terrific. However, maybe I more closely connected with the characters in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" because I'm a woman. But both books really capture your mind and make you feel like you're really experiencing what it's like to live in their country.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Im looking forward to reading both these books now as i purchased them recently and they are on my to be read list, i look forward to reading the comments when i finish them :D
You only live once.....so live!
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

And yeah I can't wait to comment on both of these books as soon as I read them. lol.
lucy_3

Post by lucy_3 »

I have read both books and loved them. For me however, A Thousand Splendid Suns did have the edge. As a woman living in western civilization, it was a real eye opener for me to see how others, less fortunate than me, live. Of course, most people are aware that conditions are by no means great out there, but I think it's both surprising and harrowing the extent. I did find the book life changing, which is really something, I think. I love that a novel can be powerful enough to do that, to evoke such emotion.

I cannot wait to read his new novel, I'm sure it will be amazing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”