Good Thought-provoking Psychological Mystery/Thrillers??

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zehf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Good Thought-provoking Psychological Mystery/Thrillers??

Post by Zehf »

These kinds of stories have always made for some of my favorite movies. Films like Fight Club, Memento, and the recent Shutter Island. But I'm trying to start devoting more of my time to reading and would appreciate some recommendations.

I'm not necessarily saying the book has to be about someone with a psychological disorder. I'm open to anything. I'm just looking for the kind of books that have good thought-provoking twist endings. Something that will turn my mind upside down trying to put all the pieces together even after I'm done reading it.

Thanks in advance!
Cliantha Doris

Post by Cliantha Doris »

Take a look inside, you will find your favorite!
Kimo

Post by Kimo »

I just finished reading a book given to me by a friend that is extremely thought provoking if you are interested in non-fiction philosophical, the title is “Everything” by Robert T. Wood. Once I started it I couldn’t put it down and am reading it over again. You might try to find a copy.
Daily Alice

Post by Daily Alice »

You might like something by Gene Wolfe, if you don't mind sci-fi mixed in with the mind twist.

A good place to start is The Fifth Head of Cerberus. It's a book of three short stories, all part of a puzzle that you must fit together. The stories are connected, but how? You decide.

Gene Wolfe is famous for using unreliable narrators in his writing, so you only get a part of the truth. The rest is left for the reader to figure out. The answers are always there within the text, but it takes an analytical mind and often multiple readings to get it.
The most basic question is not what is best, but who shall decide what is best.
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

Can I suggest a novella by Stephen King - Secret Window, Secret Garden? Unfortunately, knowing it's a psychological story takes a lot away from it, but it's worth reading to see how he ties it up all together.

Also, The Fifth Head of Cerberus recommended by Daily Alice sounds really good!
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

I also liked Secret Window, Secret Garden a lot.
Dennis Grey

Post by Dennis Grey »

take a look at 'The Day Time Was Hacked' by Carel mackenbach, new author, debut novel, but very ingeniously twisting plot
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Dennis Grey wrote:take a look at 'The Day Time Was Hacked' by Carel mackenbach, new author, debut novel, but very ingeniously twisting plot
Ah now come on you can mention that book once, maybe twice but you have mentioned it 11 times now! Spill the beans are you a publisher, superfan or online promotion staff? It sticks out a mile the amount of times you mention it. :wink:

Hope you stick around and contribute to the rest of the forums, mate :D
You only live once.....so live!
Dennis Grey

Post by Dennis Grey »

I know I have posted on it a lot, but I have just finished it and I can't stop thinking about it, plus I have become quite a superfan of this author :D

and no I am no publisher or promotion guy, I jsut think the world should know about this author, but I will keep my enthusiasm a bit more to myself and not spam the forum anymore :wink:

I will be sure to contribute to the forum, if I can find the time, I'm on holiday, and it's almost over you see, so I might not be contributing an awful lot more

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”