Official Review: The Things We Don't Say by Roberta R. Carr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: The Things We Don't Say by Roberta R. Carr

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Things We Don't Say" by Roberta R. Carr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the competitive and rigorous daily life of a professional musician, interpersonal relationships sometimes end up on the back burner, which can have disastrous effects. Lilia, a professional cello player, and star of Roberta R. Carr’s The Things We Don’t Say, finds this truth out the hard way. Despite her serious and stable relationship with Matthew, whom she has known since childhood, Lilia can’t help but dream of advancing her musical career prior to settling down and having children. When an opportunity arises to join an elite orchestra in another state, Lilia accepts, thinking that the relationship is strong enough to survive the distance.

Matthew, however, reacts terribly to her new plan and the distance he perceives as growing between them. He makes a series of rash decisions, impacting his job, his home, and finally his relationship with Lilia, who cannot understand his anger and self-absorption. Complicating matters is the presence of a rival for Lilia’s affection, the suave and mysterious musician Eduardo. Lilia must decide whether her destiny is with her music, or her childhood love, or whether she must forge another path altogether, independent from the influence of those around her.

Though a love triangle is far from a unique concept, there were several elements that nonetheless made this an interesting story. The author did an excellent job researching the world of professional musicians and orchestras, and included those details seamlessly into the story. There is a certain level of pretentiousness in that world, which was captured poignantly in the character of Eduardo, and his disdain for everything casual or pedestrian. This contrasted nicely with Matthew, who had a more approachable down-to-earth outlook, despite also being financially secure. I also appreciated that, ultimately, it was a story of a woman seeking to make her own decisions, rather than to have them made for her. This was especially significant because it was a lesson that both of the male characters had to learn, which was much more realistic than having one of them ride in on a white horse to save the day from the other lesser rival. The author ultimately left the power of agency in Lilia’s hands, which elevated this story beyond the tropes of a simple romance.

Though this book was written and edited very professionally, and I only found a couple of minor typos, one aspect of the story made me reduce the rating to 3 out of 4 stars. In short, I did not find any of the three main characters particularly likable, which made it difficult for me to be fully invested in the events of their lives. Each of them came across as self-centered in their own way, and while this made sense for the smarmy character of Eduardo, it did not fit with the boy-next-door charm of Matthew, nor the altruistic naivety of Lilia. For example, Matthew expresses extremely harsh judgement and disdain for his brother’s girlfriend, simply because she is a recovering drug addict, despite her behavior not warranting this reaction. Lilia, while caring for a terminally ill friend, repeatedly focuses on the burden and inconvenience this places upon her own life. Each of the characters, at various times, came across as sheltered within their world of affluence, and careless to the plight of those less well-off. Though they undergo character development through the events that occur toward the end of the story, it feels somewhat shallow and rushed. I would have preferred that the author devote a bit more time on the psychological impact of the events that shaped these changes.

The pace of the story makes this a light and easy read, good for a plane ride or weekend away. Readers who are likely to appreciate this story are those who enjoy romantic dramas, and explorations of different types of relationships. This is a book with a strong female character, though it is one that I believe any reader could enjoy, as there is little that is specifically feminine about it. Lovers of classical music and the orchestra would also find quite a bit with which to relate in this novel, as the author does an excellent job of submerging the reader in the world of music.

The Things We Don't Say
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As a musician, this book is immediately appealing to me, and it sounds like one I might enjoy. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

No likable main characters? That's pretty sad. Still, it is an interesting story. I majored in music in college, so I kind of understand that world. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like an interesting book. The feeling that certain decisions are made for you is one that a lot of people experience.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Hmmmmmm. I'm on the fence, here. My partner and I are both in a band together and as much as I enjoy writing and performing, I'm not quite as into the life as he is, so I sometimes end up lonely when he spends hours working on a song or songs that he's already spent a lot of time on. So in a way, I can kind of feel for Matthew, but on a much lower level. Still, even though I am interested in how it pans out, I don't know that I could read such a story without being invested in a least one of the central characters... Thanks for the thorough analysis.
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I keep noticing this book at my local library and wondering if I should grab it, so thanks for such an in-depth analysis. Having recently ended a long-term, long-distance relationship I would be interested to read an exploration of the challenges specific to that situation. The unlikeability of the main characters is off-putting, though...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”