Towelhead by Alicia Erian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
morebooks4me
Bookshelf Size: 0

Towelhead by Alicia Erian

Post by morebooks4me »

I just finished reading this book. Wow! What a page turner. I couldn't put it down. You just feel so sorry for Jasira. A very sad coming of age story. But I couldn't help but relate to some of her feelings, even though I've never had her same experiences.

I am renting the movie tomorrow to see if they are anything alike. I can't wait to read more from the same author. It looks like the only other book she has written is a collection of short stories.
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

What is it about?
morebooks4me

Post by morebooks4me »

Description from the back cover:

The year is 1991. When Jasira's mother finds out what has been going on between her boyfriend and her thirteen-year-old daughter, she has to make a choice -- and chooses to send Jasira off to Houston Texas, to live with her father. A remote disciplinarian prone to explosive rages, Jasira's father is unable to show his daughter the love she craves -- and far less able to handle her feelings about her changing body.

Bewildered by extremes of parental scrutiny and neglect, Jasira begins to look elsewhere for affection. Saddam Hussein has invaded Kuwait, and high school has become a lonely place for a "towelhead." When her father meets, and forbids her to see, her boyfriend, it becomes lonelier still. But there is always Mr. Vuoso -- a neighboring army reservist whose son Jasira babysits. Mr. Vuoso, as Jasira discovers, has an extensive collection of Playboy magazines. And he doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with Jasira's body at all.

Painfully funny, tender, and sexually charged, Towelhead is that rare thing: a gloriously readable novel unafraid to take risks. The story of a girl failed by her parents and by a conflicted America, Towelhead is an ultimately redemptive and moving work that none of us can afford to ignore.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”