Anne Frank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JazzyTheZoo

Anne Frank

Post by JazzyTheZoo »

Im currently reading Anne Frank, and although there are some boring bits...I'm really enjoying it.

Who has read it and did you like it?
What wiuld you rate it out of 5?

xx
awelker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awelker »

well i read the actual diary like 5 years ago. and what I can remember from it, it was an exceptional book. I loved actually. And then in 8th grade we read the play in my english class. that was fun. :roll: I would give it a: ****
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
part-time reader

Post by part-time reader »

I thought a better book on this subject was Night by Elie Wiesel it is an amazing account and far more touching I thought then the diary of Anne Frank...although that was my first holocaust book and I loved it :)
Dori

Post by Dori »

I didn't like it. Two out of five would be my rating. Of course, it could have been the english class that I was in.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

I read that a loooong time ago.....I loved it!!
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

Are you talking about The Diaries of Anne Frank or is this a different book?
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

Kyle22 wrote:Are you talking about The Diaries of Anne Frank or is this a different book?

I'm thinking its the same book.

I loved this, Anne was so romantic and optimistic and its an incredibly beautiful insight into something that was tragic and adult-minded.

She kind of reminded me of me at that age - oh ho ho how times have changed - I'm so jaded at the ripe old age of 23!!
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

Wow, I read the Diary of Anne Frank so long ago, and I read Night by Elie Wiesel a couple years ago too. I remember liking them both, but Wiesel's discription of the death marches was so real and touching that I think made it come out first for me.

Has anybody read 'The Sunflower' by Simon Weisenthal? It is the recollection of a jewish man being asked by a dying Nazi for forgivness before he dies. The jewish man didn't know what to do, on one hand it was the man's last dying wish, but on the other, who know how much remorse he really felt, or if he just feared punishment for his sins. Years later, he wrote to many famous people, including The Dalai Lama, Harry Wu, and Primo Levi, and asked what they would do in that situation.
The book is a collection of the letters of replies he recieved. Quite interesting and profound, a good read.
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

The Pianist is also an excellent book. It touched me deeply and I cried while reading it. It was also very sad to think that the German officer who had saved so many Jews was tortured for crimes he didn't commit.
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

I didnt even know The Pianist was based on a book! I've only seen the film and it is definitley one of my favourites. Will have to search for the book now!
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

CassieXO wrote:Wow, I read the Diary of Anne Frank so long ago, and I read Night by Elie Wiesel a couple years ago too. I remember liking them both, but Wiesel's discription of the death marches was so real and touching that I think made it come out first for me.
Hello fellow readers! I hadn't heard of this book until reading this thread, but was interested so went hunting online and intend to pick up a copy soon. For those of you who might be interested, I found an educational website (designed for teachers but anyone can use it), that not only provides related information & links about the Holocaust. Thought I would share:

http://www.facinghistory.org/resources/publications/
anshu 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anshu-14.html

Post by anshu 14 »

The Yiddish version of this book was called 'And the World Remained Silent'. I wish the title remained the same for English translation too, since nothing can better explain my wonderment while reading it.

A painful memoir of a teenage boy …of shattering of several innocent expectations…that the civilized world, people of twentieth century and above all, the generous God wouldn’t let this tragedy happen.

Yet it did. And the World Remained Silent.

Must Read.
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I read this after the book thief and it was a compelling read. I found myself forgetting it was a true story and believe this was due to when you think too much about it you just cry. What this family went through is shocking and I feel it is an important read for everyone to understand how the war affected normal everyday people. I am so thankful that Anne's father published this. I would rate this 5/5
8thline

Post by 8thline »

Anne Frank is my first inspiration why I developed the habit of reading about Hitler, the world war II, the Germans, and the Jews. Her diary was so vividly written that I felt so close to her in the Annex. It shook me with all the emotions I could ever have in one reading. After reading the end, all I can say is "Oh, one talent lost". And I just hated Hitler more.

My first copy of the book was destroyed by a serious typhoon and I got my second copy in 2012. It was my best Christmas. :D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read it and found it good though depressing. Don't forget it is based on a truth story. A touching book like all holocaust books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”