How To Be Popular by Meg Cabot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Little Hero
Bookshelf Size: 0

How To Be Popular by Meg Cabot

Post by Little Hero »

I recently bought How To Be Popular by Meg Cabot, the author famous for The Princess Diaries series, which I'm a fan of. I love chick lit in general, and though many attempts have been made to get me more into 'serious' literature, I still find teen fiction a guilty pleasure. Sadly, I can't say this book was an enjoyable read.

The book shares far too many similarities with the aforementioned Princess Diaries - it's the same tired concept of a female social outcast whose life is made miserable by a popular, stuck up cheerleader type. The social outcast wants nothing more than to fit in with the popular crowd, and gain the affections of the school hottie. But in her attempt to do so, she realises life at the top isn't all it seems, the popular guy turns out to be a jerk, and she realises she feels much better hanging with her old best friends, especially when she realises that her goofy male friend is who she really wanted to be with all along.

This is pretty much the plotline of both 'How To Be Popular' and 'The Princess Diaries'. However, what the latter has that the former lacks is the loveable and relatable heroine in the form of Mia Thermopolis, who also has the unique twist of being a secret princess. Popular's equivalant, the frizzy haired Steph Landry, is drab and uninteresting in comparison, and lacks the self-deprecating humour and strong-mindedness that made Mia such an enjoyable character. Steph's best friend Becca and crush Jason are equally dull: I actually preferred it when she WAS hanging with the popular kids - while they were cliche mean, at least they had some personality!

All in all, this isn't a book I'd reccommend to even a hardcore teen lit fan like myself. The characters lack depth and originality, and if you've read The Princess Diaries, the concept will be nothing new to you.
jemado
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemado.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by jemado »

I agree, compared to The Princess Diaries, this was not Meg Cabot's best book. If you like her writing style though, check out some of her other books.

The Mediator Series is about a girl who can see and speak to ghosts. There are 5 to the series and I found it pretty good. I also liked her 1-800-Where-R-U series, about a girl who gets struck by lightning and can find missing persons because of it. Both had interesting characters and better story lines.

Since you didn't enjoy How to be Popular, I'd steer clear of her novel Pants on Fire. It's got an interesting story line but the characters aren't very likable. Other than that I thought most of her other novels were decent, though The Princess Diaries series is still my favorite.

And forget what other people tell you about "serious literature". Sure, it has its merit, and I've read some great serious novels, but there's nothing wrong with reading light, romantic comedies that put you in a good mood and have fun, realistic characters. I've been reading books like that for a long time, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. They're just too fun!
Little Hero

Post by Little Hero »

The Princess Diaries was pure genius! Probably the first book I read of this genre and I loved it. :D

After reading your description I seem to remember reading one of the Mediator books.. not sure, it sounds very familiar.

I've not heard of Pants on Fire, but I read another book of Meg Cabot's called Teen Idol which wasn't very interesting either if memory serves.. felt a bit of a half-hearted attempt at a story after The Princess Diaries.
jemado
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemado.html

Post by jemado »

It's a bit tough to read other Meg Cabot books after already having read The Princess Diaries series. This was by far her best work, and in my opinion none of her other books will ever compare to it. Mia was just such a likable character (even if frustrating at times) and it was a really great series. I doubt she'll ever be able to create another series like it, or another character like Mia, but some of her other books are still decent reads, even if not quite as engaging as Princess Diaries.

I've read pretty much every book she's written, both for young adults and adults, and they all tend to follow a general format: insecure or loner girl facing issues and trying to get the guy of her dreams. The better ones in my opinion are the ones I mentioned above, since they add a twist to the scenario. I definitely wouldn't consider them amazing works of literature, but they're usually quick, fun reads that I can get through in about a day.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”