Official Review: Is She The One? by Bob Boog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Is She The One? by Bob Boog

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Is She The One?" by Bob Boog.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is She The One? is a romance story, and as the author puts it, “partly based in truth”. It is the first in a series and part of the next book is presented at the end of this one.

Bob is a real estate agent and on the lookout for love. His friend and co-worker Joel seems more interested in playing the field, and is trying to encourage Bob to do the same. On a “property listing” day, Bob meets a psychic at the house who tells him that The One will be appearing in his life soon. But how will Bob know that she is The One? A string of unsuccessful dates makes Bob question just what he wants from life and from a partner. Little does he know that Roxanne is just around the corner and waiting to explode into his life. Will this explosion be a good or bad one for Bob, and will she be The One?

Though not the main genre I love to read, I saw a 5-star review for the book and thought I’d take a peek. After all who doesn’t love a bit of romance every now and then? I must say that it was interesting reading about these types of questions and feelings from a male perspective. As women we tend to generalise men’s feelings and thoughts on the subjects of love and marriage, and not realise that they have very similar questions to what we have. I enjoyed Bob’s rollercoaster ride of emotions and his journey of self-discovery. Joel was an awful character (so I guess the author did his job there) and I couldn’t understand why Bob stayed friends with him. He was toxic and manipulative and all round unpleasant. Roxanne was certainly spicy though. She had no qualms about speaking her mind and tackling her problems head on. The peripheral characters were needed to round out the story, but didn’t have too much of an impact.

Unfortunately I failed to see why the 5-stars were given in the review. I appreciate the fact that the author tried to inject humour into the story, but there were definitely no laugh out loud moments for me. In fact I felt the humour was somewhat forced. I understood what the author was trying to portray with the character’s emotions, but more often than not their actions or speech came across as silly and sometimes juvenile. The writing itself felt a bit stilted and blocky, with info dumps being thrown in to create scenes. There were only a couple of editing mistakes in punctuation and spelling though, which I commend the author on.

The book itself is quick to read and only took me a little over an hour to get through. I had to think very carefully about the rating and how I would allocate stars. No star was removed for grammatical errors, but I had to take one away for the writing style and one for the story itself, as even though deep issues were dealt with, I didn’t feel a connection with any of the characters or their situations. I didn’t feel the book could stand in the 3-star category as it was one that was not memorable enough, and I won’t be buying the sequel. I thus rate Is She The One? 2 out of 4 stars and recommend it only for someone who has a bit of time on their hands and is looking for a light read.

Is She The One?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What a bummer that the author didn't quite pull it off. Even though I no longer indulge in romance novels, I am open to reading something from the male POV, so I was captivated by your start, yet I'd also seen your rating and hoped the issues that caused the loss of 2 stars would be something I could overlook. I don't know that I can but, as you suggested, perhaps I'll check it out when I have nothing better to do with time on my hands... Thanks for the thorough review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

As far as romance novels go, I've never read one that's written from a male perspective. The characters seem interesting but the low rating is a downside for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad it was a quick read, but I'm sorry you didn't see in it what the other reviewer saw. It really isn't my genre and doesn't sound particularly interesting. I think I'll skip it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Nothing more awkward than reading a humorous book that just isn't funny. Think I will have to pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Sounds like a very uninspired book with a very rote narrative. No thank you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”