Official Review: 500 Miles To Go by J. Conrad Guest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: 500 Miles To Go by J. Conrad Guest

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "500 Miles To Go" by J. Conrad Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do.” – Harry Nilsson

What if the one career path you chose caused considerable anxiety to your family? When one wrong move, mechanical failure, or just being on the wrong side of the field (racetrack) at the wrong time increases the probability of you meeting the grim reaper sooner rather than later. What If your first love wouldn’t stand by to watch you risk your life? Would all of that be enough to convince you to abandon your childhood dream?

‘Lucky in life, unlucky in love.’ Alex Król, our protagonist, once found himself in such a quandary. Through his interview with Alicia Abney, a freelance writer; we are taken on a trip down memory lane. This trip takes us through the ups and downs, struggles, and losses (the whole package) of being a race car driver during the golden era of racing. It is not long after he begins his career that it starts to cause an obvious strain in his relationship with his girlfriend, Gail Russell. Will they work it out or will he lose her forever? Will he fulfill his dream of becoming one of the best racecar drivers and still manage to come out unscathed?

500 Miles to Go by J. Conrad Guest is a riveting account of a racecar driver; a narrative that hurls readers’ full force into the world of racing. The fact that this book is a work of fiction blows my mind. As soon as I was a few chapters in, I searched Google for an Alex Król, because that’s how real the character and story feel. The more I read on, the more I felt compelled to search for other characters introduced. And behold; some of them did appear, and that is how I continued to read the book till the very end. With brief stops to fact check. The author did a brilliant job of melding fact and fiction that the narrative was incredibly believable. In doing so, I learned so much about the legends of the sport, both living and dead. I had a little bit of a proud moment when one of my favorite scientists mentioned in an interview I was watching — a racing legend by name and I immediately recognized and knew who he was speaking of, when before I would not have had a clue.

When I first chose this book, I had no idea that it would be the one to have me teary-eyed. This was such a profound read. And I’m grateful that I got to read it. The plot and setting worked exceptionally well to create a very realistic story. The characters were multidimensional that I couldn’t help but feel like they were real. Some of the characters were likable and others not so much as you’d have it naturally in a tale whose major theme involves high-stakes racing. Other themes included: ambition, romance, betrayal, friendship, separation, grief, and death.

The blurb convinced me to read the book even though I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the racing aspect, I thought I might enjoy the romance bits. However, I was in for a surprise; I enjoyed every bit of it, and I found myself anticipating the racing bits equally as much. From the very first page up to the last, there was no dull moment. I think that is the mark of a great author. One that convinces you his creation/world is real and can garner interest in a topic from readers who otherwise had not paid attention to the subject or had no prior interest in it. I could tell there was a lot of research that went into writing the book. I had no doubt that the author really knows his stuff having attended the Indy races and the amount of information shared in the book. One of the things that I liked was that the narrative invoked different emotions from me excitement, anxiety, and even grief alongside the characters. I especially liked that the romance wasn’t predictable. I appreciated that it took a mature front.

The book appeared to be professionally edited which made reading it a breeze. I honestly can’t find anything that I didn’t like; which is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I feel I should mention that there were a few instances where swear words were used, moderate description of sex scenes. I have no problem with such content. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a high-quality novel with elements of historical fiction, racecar driving, and romance.

500 Miles To Go
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Nice review ritah, funny thing is I once aspired to be a rally driver. My parents would hear none of it and I ended up in university instead. Sounds good this one, maybe a glimpse into a world that would've been mine.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Thanks, Julius.
Oh really?! The dangers of the sport didn't make you think twice? They were probably looking out for you. I know if I had a family member with the same dream...I'd suffer from a ton of anxiety every time they went on to race. Just because I care and fully understand the gambles of the sport.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really intriguing book. I haven't read many books about racecar drivers. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

It really was, I enjoyed it very much. If you're looking to read more books on race car drivers, this one is a worth it winner. And the fact that it offers more than racing cars and actually includes other themes; I see it appealing to different groups/types of readers as well.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

ritah wrote:Thanks, Julius.
Oh really?! The dangers of the sport didn't make you think twice? They were probably looking out for you. I know if I had a family member with the same dream...I'd suffer from a ton of anxiety every time they went on to race. Just because I care and fully understand the gambles of the sport.
There's just something about 400+ horses under the hood, a dirt/muddy road, tight turns, 4WD and a sequential gearbox that churns the blood...So to speak. Tried it with some buggies once, I didn't mind the dangers back then.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Sounds like this was a great book that brought you into the story. I enjoyed reading your review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like an enjoyable book with important life lessons.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

There's just something about 400+ horses under the hood, a dirt/muddy road, tight turns, 4WD and a sequential gearbox that churns the blood...So to speak. Tried it with some buggies once, I didn't mind the dangers back then.
haha, wow. You make it sound like quite the thrill. I think am one of those that would rather just watch when it comes to dangerous sports or read about them.

-- 19 Oct 2017, 13:13 --
Ashley Simon wrote:Sounds like this was a great book that brought you into the story. I enjoyed reading your review!
Thanks, Ashley. It really did, the narrative felt all too real.

-- 19 Oct 2017, 13:17 --
Mercy Bolo wrote:Sounds like an enjoyable book with important life lessons.
Yes, Mercy. It was a profound read.
Njihia muigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njihia-muigai.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Njihia muigai »

Thanks Rita for the vivid review of the book. Most of us like to experience such thrills from the comfort of our sofas while dare devils do what they do on the track. Sounds like I wanna read the book at the earliest opportunity
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Thanks Njihia. You ought to, this book will take you there.
Bianca Casalvolone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bianca Casalvolone »

it looks really good, but is not a type of book that most of the people would read
Emmanuel nonso Akubu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel nonso Akubu »

How can I start reviewing ? Can somebody help? How do I get any of the books to read and review?
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

A book about racing is not one I would normally be drawn to, but you have described it so well, I'm going to have to consider it. Great review!
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Kat Berg wrote:A book about racing is not one I would normally be drawn to, but you have described it so well, I'm going to have to consider it. Great review!
Thanks! It'll surprise you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”