Official Review: The Heavenly Grille Cafe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Official Review: The Heavenly Grille Cafe

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Heavenly Grille Cafe" by J. T. Livingston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Heavenly Grill Café by J.T. Livingston is a book filled with love and God. Bertie, Max, and Doug are all angels that are sent back to Earth to work at the Heavenly Grill Café. Well, they aren’t really angels since they all lived moral lives, but you get the point. Their job is to bring God into the lives of people who really need it. When Amanda’s father dies, she loses her house and her job. Left with nowhere to go, she gets in her car and drives. Something calls her to the café, and she stops to eat. The angels give her a job, and she moves in above the restaurant. Fast forward a few weeks, and Amanda meets Kris, a pregnant woman whose boyfriend had just taken all of her money and left her stranded. The two form an unlikely friendship, and Amanda moves in with Kris to help take care of the baby. Everything is going great, but when tragedy strikes, will they all be able keep their faith?

The plot of this book was excellent! It had a clear problem, climax, and solution and moved through each step of the book at a great pace. It’s very rare that a book does this as well as this book did. I was constantly finding myself wanting to pick up this book and continue reading. The development of the characters also made me want to keep reading this book. They each had unique personalities that made them exciting to read about. The author did a great job making each of the characters seem realistic.

Another aspect that I really liked about this book was the description of Heaven. I love reading books about this topic, and this one did not disappoint! The author definitely gave a unique perspective on what happens after we die. There were several scenes that took place in Heaven because the angels had to report back “home”. Each of these was depicted by italic print, which made it really clear when one of these scenes was occurring. I was laughing in almost all of the scenes that took place in Heaven, which I would not have expected.

There were only two flaws that I found within this book. The first was the lack of editing. The editing wasn’t terrible, but there were enough errors that it detracted from the overall quality of the book. Most of these errors were missing words and missing quotation marks. The other flaw is more subjective. In my opinion, I thought that some parts of the book were too “preachy”. There were several conversations in which the angels were basically preaching to the other characters. These conversations were long and drawn out. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the religious aspect of this book. However, I think that the author’s point would have been made just as well without these conversations.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If the editing were fixed and the long, preachy conversations were taken out, I would definitely give it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend The Heavenly Grill Café to anyone who is looking for a book that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. However, there is a pretty big religious aspect to it. People who aren’t into the religious end of things might not like it as much.

The Heavenly Grille Cafe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
cutejoshua99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cutejoshua99 »

its a very interesting story and i am amazes of how the story goes on. and i enjoy reading it
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

This one sounds like an interesting book. I love religious stories. I will give this 4 out of 4. Thanks for the review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I am not a very religious person (spirituality is another thing, but organized religion, not so much), so I'll probably give this book a miss. Good review, however, anneloretrujillo.
Tcharlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcharlyn.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Tcharlyn »

This book is not my genre. The review was good and generally interesting but it did not pinch my imagination to be interested.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Staceyuk
Currently Reading: Dragon's gate
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Staceyuk »

This book is awesome, though i wasn't expecting it this way. I think I'll rate this 3 out of 4
Dawood Arsalan

Post by Dawood Arsalan »

I like the plot of story
Ken Cotiangco

Post by Ken Cotiangco »

The plot of the story amazed me and the characters in it were clearly described. The story gave me realization about the religious aspect of life but for some readers who are not religious may not like this kind of book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like a cute idea. It's too bad the editing wasn't great on it. Still, sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HERUNE

Post by HERUNE »

I like this book.Its has an interesting story.The characters are experiencing different kind of tsunami / earthquake in their lives, both thrown in an island.they build their lives again in the island,help each other and take care each other.I rate this book three stars and for me it is not a religion but it is a relationship of a person to one another'
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Your review is very detailed and interesting, but I don't think this is the right book for me. I think the idea of reading overly preachy sections is too much for me. Great review though.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
gazibaba127

Post by gazibaba127 »

A nice book but it is not my genre
I don't want to listen about religion
But i rate it 3 out of 4 stars
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I'm not so much into religious reads, so I may have to pass on this one. Thanks for the great review, though!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Seems like this book does a good job bridging the gap between heaven and earth. Mortals and immortals.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I like the book. I am interested in what God does and is capable of doing. The review sounds inviting.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”