Official Review: Mister Big by Harvey Havel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Official Review: Mister Big by Harvey Havel

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mister Big" by Harvey Havel.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At six-foot-five and 300 pounds, the protagonist of Harvey Havel’s latest novel Mister Big lives up to his titular nickname. But DeShawn Biggs' physical appearance does not match his personality. He’s painfully shy. Meanwhile, DeShawn’s parents, Didi and Crosby, are torn over how to handle their giant of a son. Thanks to low-paying jobs, they can’t afford to feed this growing boy forever. And while shipping him off to college would almost certainly mean the beginning of DeShawn’s NFL career, it will also mean saying goodbye to their baby.

Eventually, DeShawn goes off to prep school and then to college. Readers follow DeShawn as he wrestles with his attraction to white women, despite the fact that his own skin is black. Away from the protective shelter of his parents, he must battle questions of morality, come face-to-face with a racist world, and most importantly, decide what kind of man he will be in the midst of it all.

The novel is split in three books: Book 1 contains the prologue and first three chapters, Book 2 contains two chapters, and Book 3 contains the final three chapters along with an epilogue. At 887 pages, Mister Big is a hefty read, and unfortunately, I found the long chapters difficult to wade through. The novel introduces many interesting and relevant themes, such as race, gender, family dynamics, and the culture of American sports. However, the characters were undeveloped, and the dialogue fell flat. Here’s an example of an exchange between DeShawn and two teachers shortly after he arrives at school:
“DeShawn - how’s your mind doing?” asked Mr. Lamb.
“Virgin territory,” said Coach Cal.
“It’s fine, sir. I am ready to learn Math.” (Havel 74)
I found it difficult to connect with DeShawn. Despite being the protagonist, he remained static throughout much of the book. In the beginning, his naivety and self-consciousness were winsome, and I hoped that Havel would expand on his emotional development. But DeShawn's naivety drags on throughout the novel, even as he gets caught up in mature schemes, and constant references to his oversized physical stature grew tiresome.

I was also disappointed by the conversation on race relations that is pervasive throughout the novel. DeShawn faces frequent racism, and constantly grapples with the racism that exists in himself. Again, I hoped that the novel would explore this further, but because the storyline wasn't anchored to any dynamic characters, commentary on race relations read more like an essay.

Frequent grammatical errors—particularly a misuse of the word “you’re”—distracted me during this reading. I was also left confused by several plot holes. For example, one of the central cruxes of the story is the fact that DeShawn’s parents cannot contact him after they drop him off at the prep school. However, we never learn why they can’t reach out. We’re told that they don’t have the money to support DeShawn anymore, but I’m not quite sure why they can’t see him on holidays or give him a phone call.

Due to these factors, I’m giving Mister Big a 1 out of 4 rating. I enjoyed the way Havel started the novel from Crosby and Didi’s perspectives. Although they were not significant characters in the rest of the novel, I found this dialogue the most relatable. I really wanted to connect with DeShawn as a character, as his backstory and personality were inviting, but frequent exposition and flat dialogue kept me from connecting with this story. Still, Mister Big contains an interesting premise, and I’d be interested to read it again after a more thorough edit.

Mister Big
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I enjoyed reading your review. You tore apart the specifics well. I would not read this given your rating.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Ashley Simon. This is an engaging review. The story seemed promising; it's a shame that the author wasn't able to deliver it well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite disappointing. I'm sorry it wasn't what you thought. I don't think I will be looking at this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Thanks for stopping by, Alicnim, Miriam Molina, and kandscreeley! I was disappointed, too, but glad you found this review helpful.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

A little disappointed, it had the potential and the premise, like you put it, to skyrocket. Thanks for honest review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

With better editing, the book would be a really refreshing read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Mercy- I agree, I believe it has a lot of potential!
Geoffrey - thanks for stopping by!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What a pity that the book was only worth such a low rating, but I understand why it had to be this way. Great review, Ashley Simon.
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Thanks Kislany!
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Thanks for the honest review. It refreshing to know your justification for the low rating of the book.

-- 16 Oct 2017, 09:13 --

Thanks for the honest review. It refreshing to know your justification for the low rating of the book.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great review although it doesn't seem like I will be saying the same of the book. I think all authors should be able to understand that the reader connecting with the story and the characters is very important
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Thanks meteku4! Job Njoroge I agree. Thanks for stopping by!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Feels like it's one book that can use a little input of ideas from the editor in terms of tying down the loose ends. Thanks for a nice review.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

It sounds like this had potential, which is a shame. I'll pass on reading this one then.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”