Official Review: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom: a novel by Peter Wood Cotterill is a fictional account of four first person narratives. The four main characters, Rosie, Bara, Gerry and Tom, are all connected in one way or another. Bara and Gerry were married at one time; Tom and Gerry were good friends in the past, and Rosie and Tom are lovers. However, things become a bit twisted when, one day, Gerry goes looking for Tom and runs into Rosie instead. Gerry and Rosie start up a relationship; meanwhile, a chance encounter finds Tom and Bara reconnecting. Set in England and parts of Africa, this book follows the foursome over multiple decades as they grow and their relationships change.

This book is really about people: how they face relationships, how they grow over time, and how people change but also remain the same. The most successful aspect of this book is the unique voice the author gives to each of the four main characters. Rosie, Bara, Gerry and Tom all have chapters told through their first person narration. Without reading the title of the chapter (which would start with the name of the character at the focus of the chapter), it was easy to tell who was narrating. Each of the four characters speak differently and have unique thoughts that are clearly attributed to their individual personalities. The author masterfully brought to life four unique, understandable personas, making their stories that much more interesting.

Although the author succeeded in many aspects, there were a few drawbacks to this story. First of all, when we are first introduced to Rosie, her chapters are very difficult to interpret. She is a non-native speaker and has a very thick accent, as well as a poor handle on the English language. Despite this being an accurate representation of her character, the writing style for her narration was very difficult to decipher and significantly hindered the flow of the story. However, as the story progresses and Rosie’s understanding of English improves, this is reflected in her narration, and her portions become much easier to get through.

Additionally, there were a few points in the story where the pacing dragged and it became difficult to connect with or care about the characters. Generally, I enjoyed reading about Rosie’s growth and Tom’s struggles, but I had difficulty liking Gerry or caring about Bara. This book is relatively short, and it didn’t feel like there was enough time to develop all four of the characters so the reader could feel a stake in their outcomes, leading to a lack of interest in the overall ending of the story.

Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom is a difficult book to rate. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and the unique voice he gave to each of the four main characters. However, the general story was sometimes lacking and the pacing felt off at times, preventing me from giving it the highest rating. Therefore, I decided to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy books about different perspectives and those interested in international stories will enjoy this author’s style.

'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author was so successful at giving each of the characters their own voice. The pacing would definitely bother me, though. I'm not sure I'd get through the book. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I love that the author was so successful at giving each of the characters their own voice. The pacing would definitely bother me, though. I'm not sure I'd get through the book. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!
Yes - the author created vivid characters in this book. Thanks for commenting!
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

From your review the story sounds both interesting and maybe a little difficult. I would be bothered by the pace. There are some stories where the slow pace full of information is welcoming. Then there are stories where they are fast paced but lacking information. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
davidemkt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidemkt »

The Author has Touch my previous relationship i was Gerry there was this girls loved me much but i didn't care at all, but there was a reason for it, and because this book has reminds my past will going to rate it "5". am happy that we sometimes learn through books and recover from our bad behavior that was bad aspect in our life, to me the author has succeed in reflect community based stories that always happen even though the Book is Fictional but i enjoy it according to the review made by online book store and i want to read it
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I love exploring human relationships and how interconnected we are. Your review sounds great and interesting, but I guess the story is a bit difficult.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Pity that the book dragged a bit at times. I enjoyed your review and thanks for being honest about the book. Not quite sure if it's for me, tbh.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I honestly got confused with the introduction of characters. I always do that when it comes to several main characters in the book, but I genuinely got interested in the questions about the relationship raised in the story. I am looking forward to learning it from the book! Thanks for the review!
kjuliah
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kjuliah »

The book indeed has a very high impact to my heart. Every lines has a “uhg” feeling. I love it. I might read it again.
Smrity
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Smrity »

Pity that the book dragged a bit at times. I enjoyed your review and thanks for being honest about the book. Not quite sure if it's for me, tbh.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I enjoyed your review. I wondered about this book from the title. It's kind of like an old movie, Bob and Carol, Ted and Alice. The plot may be similar. It's been a while since I've seen it.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Your review has highlighted the interesting aspects of the book. Developing four different characters in a book which is not very long, could have been challenging for the author.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Honestly this is a hard story. I was not so amused when I read it. I'd rate it 2 out of 4.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

It's too bad that the story dragged and you had difficulty connecting to the characters. I usually enjoy novels like this - I'm a sucker for first person narration. Thanks for the review, MarisaRose!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds like a great book but I also have trouble internalizing distorted perspectives.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”