Official Review: Family Myths by Tamara Merrill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Family Myths by Tamara Merrill

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Myths" by Tamara Merrill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Family Myths by Tamara Merrill. This is a fiction narrating the story of a woman who faces many challenges in her life with grit and grace. This is the third book of the Augustus Family Trilogy by the author.

Serena, the protagonist of the story, runs away from her home when she’s a college student. She starts living her life on her own terms. She does menial jobs for her survival. She meets Logan, a Navy officer, and gets acquainted with him. Logan goes away on duty often for extended periods of time although he keeps in touch with Serena through letters. Serena is confused about how to take the relationship forward. In the meantime, she faces a major personal challenge which needs a decision right away. That decision would change her life forever. How Serena handles this gracefully and how she faces her life with determination is the rest of the story.

What I like most about the story is the strong building of Serena’s character. There are several instances in which Serena faces a dilemma of how to handle the situation. In each of these situations, the author portrays Serena as a strong-minded, sensible woman who uses her sound mind to make a wise decision. The story also highlights several admirable values that one can appreciate. For example, Serena’s will to build her career in spite of the challenges is something every reader would applaud while reading the story. The intense emotions and feelings of the protagonist have been expressed beautifully.

The story highlights the difficulties in having a relationship with a military person. The story also highlights the perils of getting drunk in public places and its consequences. Serena’s colleague Carol’s support to Serena is an exemplification of how people should help each other during tough times. The sections narrating Serena’s family are long-winded and sometimes make the reader feel bored. For the most part, the story happens in California. The author gives a glimpse of San Francisco with the sights and the sounds of that tourist destination.

The proofreading of the book has not been done well. There are several instances of mechanical errors like missing punctuation marks, wrong word usages, etc. I didn’t find any spelling mistake in this book. Several pages have been left blank without any explanation.

Overall, I found this book a great read! It narrates how to be determined and how to face life’s challenges head-on. The book is suitable for all audiences although some parental guidance is advised for the adolescents and the children. The struggles that Serena goes through depict the real world challenges that exist out there. How she handles those challenges is an inspiration for anyone who feels down or discouraged with their life. There are many values that are shared in this story that one can think of imbibing in their own life. The characters are built strong and the storytelling is pretty vivid. I wonder if the author considered making a movie out of this story. I would have rated this fantastic book a 4 out of 4 stars. Since there are formatting and mechanical errors present, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

Family Myths
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Sounds like an interesting book. Pity though for the proofreading and editing mistakes. I enjoyed your review and if there were a movie at some point, I'd definitely watch it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like even though this was the third book, you didn't have any trouble following it. Too bad about the errors, but I'd probably overlook them and read it anyway. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

This book sounds quite interesting. I like stories with strong women who are able to work their way through difficult challenges.
peace starts with a smile...
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I like a book where the a strong female handles the ups and downs of life with grace and wisdom. This sounds like a really great novel. Hopefully the author will fix the grammar and formatting issues. Thanks for writing such a good review.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for the review. I wasn't able to get a sense of when this takes place, but I guess the basic story and its themes could be considered timeless. Since it's one of a trilogy, it seems like it might start back a generation or two. I liked that you included some of the themes of the story also.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Though it appears that this is not the book for me. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am on the fence about this book. It sounds interesting but I generally don't find myself picking up books of this variety. With that being said the errors found would be a huge detractor for me. Wonderful review though!
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

It really is a great read and your review is well written, thanks.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Thanks for a good review I enjoyed reading it, I hope the author indeed makes a movie out of it.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Once again an Augustus is protecting themselves and the family name with lies.Beneath the shield of her lies, Elizabeth’s deceptions become her truth and the truth of all who know her.It is not a good ideal to be shielded with lies.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Sounds like it would be an interesting read. Unfortunately, too many grammar errors can be quite the turn off. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”