Official Review: All of the Rogers by Erin Lockwood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: All of the Rogers by Erin Lockwood

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All of the Rogers" by Erin Lockwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No one ever forgets their first love. The emotional rollercoaster of a teenage romance is one that Kerri has never experienced before and in Erin Lockwood´s novel, All of the Rogers, she not only falls in love with Roger, she also has to learn how to cope with the heartache that goes hand in hand with being a teenager.

Kerri has been a ballerina for as long as she can remember, pushed on by her mother to be the best. When she misses out on her Julliard audition, ballet becomes a thing of the past as she finally has the time to do the things which she has always missed out on.

Aided by her best friend, Neve, Kerri needs to rediscover who she is, away from ballet. Always feeling like the outsider, when Roger approaches her she can’t believe that he’s actually interested in her. As their relationship blossoms, Kerri is finally free to act like a normal teenager, but challenges are always just around the corner. She needs to decide for herself what sort of person she wants to be and, with pressure from every side, can she be strong enough to find her own identity?

This book was an absolute delight to read. Written in first person from Kerri´s perspective, the reader is able to experience all of her ups and downs and live the drama of high school along with her. The characters are all very well written, making them both three dimensional and realistic. Kerri, suffering from an over bearing, helicopter mother and a work focused father, turns to her brother, Brad, for guidance and friendship. Her character develops skillfully from a shy, obedient ballerina, to someone who questions her identity and starts to discover her own morals and self-worth. Her progression is great to see, and the fact that it’s not all smooth sailing makes it all the more believable. Roger is a great contrast to Kerry, as he´s outgoing, popular and friendly. Even though he appears easy going, he has secrets buried beneath the surface that start to show through the cracks as the story progresses.

There were a lot of landmark life events covered in this story, from Kerri getting her first period to losing her virginity. There were also some very serious issues portrayed as well, from drunk driving and alcoholism, to mental illness and suicide. While this could make for a very depressing book, the author manages to weave these subjects into a rich tapestry of hope and bravery.

Set in the USA, this is a coming of age story for Kerri, encompassing everything from teenage angst and hormonal changes, to learning about love, who her real friends are and what’s really important in her life. I cannot say enough good things about this book. I laughed, I cringed, I cried, I was transported right back to high school, and I certainly could not put it down, reading it late into the night. From the writing style to the subject matter, there was not one thing to criticize and I rate this a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. Classified as other fiction, this is a book for everyone as its part love story, part self-discovery. I would especially recommend it to those leaving school, to realize that everyone has their own struggles and that support is always out there.

All of the Rogers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ynahreyes
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Ynahreyes »

There were a lot of landmark life events covered in this story, from Kerri getting her first period to losing her virginity. There were also some very serious issues portrayed as well, from drunk driving and alcoholism, to mental illness and suicide. While this could make for a very depressing book, the author manages to weave these subjects into a rich tapestry of hope and bravery.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great coming of age story. This is another one I need to look into. Right up my alley from the sounds of it. Great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Probably not for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Sounds like a great book for me. Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading your review.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love it when an author is able to bring out so much emotion in a story!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

I'm not sure if this is a book for everybody, but it does sound sweet. Laughing and crying and staying up all night reading it is an impressive recommendation. I'll put it on my "might read" list.

-- 24 Sep 2017, 17:24 --

I'm not sure if this is a book for everybody, but it does sound sweet. Laughing and crying and staying up all night reading it is an impressive recommendation. I'll put it on my "might read" list.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This could take me back to teenage years. First love is always so intense..
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Erin portrays takes us into real life struggles that teenagers deal with everyday. The relationships with peers, parents and teachers.It has blew my emotions wisely.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

This is a good review. It also sounds like a good book. I'm working on a coming of age novel, so I like to check out the genre from time to time to see what works.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”