Official Review: 50 Grades Of Shame by Terry Rice-Milton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: 50 Grades Of Shame by Terry Rice-Milton

Post by bookiegalke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "50 Grades Of Shame" by Terry Rice-Milton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

50 Grades of Shame by Terry Rice Milton is a romance genre book. The story is set up in Europe and told in the third person. The overriding themes are all adult in nature making it unsuitable for the younger audience. 50 grades of shame is a surprising treat away from the usual man falls in love with woman romance story.

I’m not a soccer fan but the drama that surrounds the private life of Rory Stafford, the most sought after footballer, was enough to stir up my interest. With unmatched skill on the field, Rory has earned a name for himself in the soccer world. While Rory is a normal person like any other, there seems to be a general perception that his should be a life that is nothing less than perfect. He should have a loving wife and proud children behind all the attention he is accorded. In the absence of this perfection, the media has a field day hanging out his dirty linen in public. But can Rory live to the expectation that the world expects from him? Will he, like any other person, make mistakes which do not warrant undue criticism from the media and others alike?

The setting in 50 grades of shame is well captured to reflect the kind of lifestyle of top notch footballers who enjoy worldwide support from fans. However, the writer’s view on sex change is something I found unreasonable especially because he seemed to suggest that young children can easily comprehend this complex transformation in a human being. 50 grades of shame is awash with Lesbian relationships to the extent that I opted to skip the lesbian sexual scenes.

50 grades of shame story line moves rather moderately at the beginning but it felt rushed midway because what seemed to be the most interesting part of the story was concentrated in the middle leaving the rest of the book with the less interesting aspect. Generally, this is a book I would be less motivated to read a second time especially because of the lesbian content. The flaws mentioned above notwithstanding, 50 grades of shame adopts a rather easy to read style credited to the absence of spelling errors and good page layout.

For all the reasons mentioned above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would strongly advice against reading this book to those that find lesbianism and sex change as something detestable.

50 Grades Of Shame
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Definitely not for me. I wonder if the author was kind of going for a take off on 50 shades of grey, though? Title is kind of similar.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I don't think this book is for me either. Great review, btw.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This is not a book that I would typically choose to read. However, your review had piqued my interest. There seems to be a lot more going on in Rory's life than it appears. Your review makes me want to read this book just to find out. A very well written review. Great job!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Thanks for the nice and honest review but I don't think I'm interested in this kind of book.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Having never read 50 Shades of Gray, I can't tell if this book is derivative of that or not. But based on all the sex the reviewer describes as being in it, there is probably some connection. Not my taste, so I probably won't read it.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

There's a lot of such books going around, reflecting where we're headed as a society, good review,
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I wouldn't pick this too, great review, Bookiegalke
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I wouldn't pick this too, great review, Bookiegalke
thanks geoffrey

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:05 --
kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. Definitely not for me. I wonder if the author was kind of going for a take off on 50 shades of grey, though? Title is kind of similar.
I also thought of 50 shades of grey when I saw the title but I can assure you the two are completely two different things.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:06 --
kislany wrote:I don't think this book is for me either. Great review, btw.
thanks kislany I appreciate your kind words

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:08 --
Elle Howard wrote:This is not a book that I would typically choose to read. However, your review had piqued my interest. There seems to be a lot more going on in Rory's life than it appears. Your review makes me want to read this book just to find out. A very well written review. Great job!
the kind of changes Rory goes through is enough to make read this book to the very last sentence. thanks for your kind words

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:10 --
Ubyamos wrote:Thanks for the nice and honest review but I don't think I'm interested in this kind of book.
I appreciate that you took time to read my review.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:13 --
Zelinda wrote:Having never read 50 Shades of Gray, I can't tell if this book is derivative of that or not. But based on all the sex the reviewer describes as being in it, there is probably some connection. Not my taste, so I probably won't read it.
the lesbian sexual scenes were a complete turn off for me.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 07:16 --
Cloe101 wrote:There's a lot of such books going around, reflecting where we're headed as a society, good review,
I hope that direction changes to a direction that does not dilute the morals of our society.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

I would get how it is a complete turn-off, too bad what the author is standing for. Great job with the review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

Cloe101 wrote:I would get how it is a complete turn-off, too bad what the author is standing for. Great job with the review.
thanks cloe
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Interesting, this doesn't sound like it is up my alley but nice review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

Ashley Simon wrote:Interesting, this doesn't sound like it is up my alley but nice review!
thanks Ashley Simon, your comment is highly appreciated.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

a book about sex change? .....that doesn't seem like a book I would be interested in

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”