Official Review: Hostile Intent by W.M. Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: Hostile Intent by W.M. Allen

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hostile Intent" by W.M. Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the two commercial airlines crashed into the World Trade Center buildings on the morning of September 11, 2001, and deadly debris rained down came raining down on the people below, the only question for the people in New York City and its environs was,
Where were you when it happened?
Captain Lopez of the Special Forces was seated at her post in the Urban Command Post (UCP) behind bullet-proof windows on that morning. Hostile Intent: Game On by W. M. Allen, a military-action novel published by Hopeful Media Solutions LLC on August 31, 2017, begins just before the 9/11.

The issue that seems to be on my mind is whether there was any intelligence that predicted the coordinated attacks before they happened. Another pressing question is if there was, why was not used to stop the attack before it happened?

There is no time for such questions at the moment, there is only time for quick reactions and countermeasures. Under the eyes of her boss and traveling at full military power, Captain Lopez soon hits the road with the Mobile Command Team (MCT) for the terror groups behind the attacks. Even amidst the struggle within the military and the nation, life still goes on as the lives of army personnel are explored and relationships and secrets uncovered as nothing is left to chance.

The stakes are getting higher as the waves of assault and espionage begin to hit. In just a few days after the 9/11, Brigadier General O’Malley and his team have to stop a terror plot that could see the ghastly demise of thousands of children, an onslaught that could be even worse than the September 11 attacks.

Themes of deception, terrorism, and war play a greater part in this action-packed fiction with a complex plot as O’Malley comes up as the strongest character and a witty boss outwitting all odds. The author has considerably fleshed out the characters and expertly crafted the dialogue to fit perfectly into the narrative. He obviously did his research well with the ranks and the hierarchy within the military that are well exploited and placed in the narrative. There were a couple of twists that caught me by surprise and made me appreciate the author’s story-spinning skills.

A couple of the 328 standard pages of this book were taken up by military terms, procedures, and reasons behind the procedures. Navigating through the jargon and explanations would have been enjoyable and fun if they would have been weaved in a striking or interesting way. Even though W. M. Allen steered through this in a slightly above average manner, it did not help me much in not getting distracted from the story at certain points.

There were a few editing issues like; the tense problem, “O’Malley notice[d] the VP’s negative reaction,” inclusion of words that should not have been in the sentence, “…slid across [the] Sara’s legs,” and some minor errors. I give this novel a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned flaws. I recommend it to readers that like thick plots and military action and suspense.

I would also recommend it to those that were directly or indirectly affected by the September 11 attacks as a means of closure, and to appreciate the hard work and lives lost by the United States firefighters and law enforcement officers.

Hostile Intent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Its a shame such a great book has editing issues but i would definitely overlook that for such a great thriller.Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

The author should have provided a glossary or some other way to make it easier for the reader to understand the jargon. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I will need guts to read a book on terror attacks. You have done a good review on this one. it's good to know you enjoyed reading it. Thank you geoffrey.
geoffrey ngoima

The jargon isn't really a big issue, it's something that can be overlooked like 0719672189 says, & thank you guys for dropping by
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I started this one, but it started off a little too slowly for me. Thanks for your review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima

kandscreeley wrote:I started this one, but it started off a little too slowly for me. Thanks for your review, though!
Yeah, I saw that, for a military-action novel it was a bit slow-paced
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Wow, the book almost sounds like an action movie. It seems interesting . This was a great review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
geoffrey ngoima

Marylynn wrote:Wow, the book almost sounds like an action movie. It seems interesting . This was a great review.
Oh, waw. Marylynn, thank you!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your review. I like the way you summarized the action of the story and the things about it that you appreciated, while giving a fair critique of what didn't work for you. Something tells me that it probably won't work for me, either, so I'll probably give this book a pass.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
geoffrey ngoima

Zelinda wrote:Thanks for your review. I like the way you summarized the action of the story and the things about it that you appreciated, while giving a fair critique of what didn't work for you. Something tells me that it probably won't work for me, either, so I'll probably give this book a pass.
Well, it worked out for me 3 out of 1 :) so you never know for you.
HMS
Favorite Author: M.D. White
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 101988

Post by HMS »

"Zelinda wrote:
Thanks for your review. I like the way you summarized the action of the story and the things about it that you appreciated, while giving a fair critique of what didn't work for you. Something tells me that it probably won't work for me, either, so I'll probably give this book a pass.

And

Geoffrey wrote:

Well, it worked out for me 3 out of 1 :) so you never know for you."

I, too, thought the book to start slow but I quickly realized that I was making a haste decision when it picked up at such a pace it was hard to hold on. It is a very impactful story. Quite compelling, once you get past the initial military acronyms.

Geoffrey you did a great job with the review. It suggests that the wonderful writing prose is only a small glimpse of what to expect in this fast pace thriller without exposing a plot that we all think we know. FYI: I didn't know everything Allen so eloquently exposed. We need more oversight.

Keep up the great job geoffrey.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This doesn't sound like a book for me, but I do enjoy watching documentaries of this nature. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
geoffrey ngoima

Christina Rose wrote:This doesn't sound like a book for me, but I do enjoy watching documentaries of this nature. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Hms & Christina, haha, it definitely isn't a documentary, I'm sorry if I somehow alluded to that. It's like a fictional account of what might have happened or just something spun from a true historical happening. I hope it's clear now. I remember calling it a novel, implying of course that it's fiction.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Nice review. I might just add It to my to-read list but slow-paced action novels don't satisfy me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”