Official Review: Criss Cross Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Criss Cross Love

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Criss Cross Love" by Helen Horn, Skylar Ann, Marie Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Criss Cross Love is a modern-day fictional novel written by Helen Horn, Skylar Ann, and Marie Jackson. Published in the summer of 2016, the writing trio captures the troubles and hardships that seem to follow Sam, the main character. By having the perspective of the story as coming from the main character, readers can gather a realistic description of what occurs throughout the story.

For wealthy and popular high school student, Sam, spoiled doesn’t even begin to cover the type of lifestyle she’s possessed. Living in the largest home in their community, driving the nicest car of all her friends, and having the wardrobe that would satisfy a queen, Sam has only known wealth for her entire life. Never expecting to lose everything her family has, Sam’s word comes to a crumbling halt when she receives the horrifying news of her father’s death, along with all the secrets he had been hiding. Sam’s situation only goes from bad to worse as she and her mother try to pick up the pieces of their lives to start over. After losing faith in humanity time and time again, Sam has all but given up on ever being herself again. Determined to live a life better than what she’s currently suffocated by, Sam sets out on a life-changing journey that no one could foresee.

The themes within Criss Cross Love were darker than I had imagined when choosing the story. Although I knew loss would be a forefront in the novel, I was unaware at just how emotional I would become while reading. Despite my typical stone-solid front, I had to cry it out with this one. Although the story line within Criss Cross Love was an ever-twisting drama, every aspect of the story felt real and well-researched. There were a few times in the story that I figured I would get to the end and read a section from one of the authors explaining how this was based from a real-life occurrence for one of them. As usual with a story containing adult scenes, foul language, and deep emotional despair, I have to give a reader’s discretion warning.

My only complaint with this story stems from the ending. The beginning, middle, and wrapping up the closing was impeccably written. I was so engaged in the story that I read it completely in one sitting. However, once I got to the ending, it was completely rushed and bluntly ended. The ending served no justice compared to the rest of the story, and I was disappointed with how so many questions were left unanswered. There was also a section towards the very end where the narrating perspective changes abruptly without a notice. I actually had to read that section a few times to understand which character’s perspective it was coming from.

I truly enjoyed reading Criss Cross Love, would gladly recommend it to other readers who enjoy dramatic stories that read like a roller coaster of emotions. Due to the complaint regarding the ending of the story, I rate Criss Cross Love 3 out of 4 stars. I had a tough time with my rating, and would have preferred to give it a full four stars, and with a revised and smoothed out ending, I would.

Criss Cross Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm kind of a fan of dark romances. This seems like an interesting book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate reading through a whole book and loving it and investing in it and then getting to the ending and it falling flat. That is so disappointing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

The ending was disappointing, but I'm still so glad I read it!

Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I put it on my bookshelf even before I finished reading the review, that's how much I liked it
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Kourtney Bradley

I'm so glad to hear it!
–Vera Nazarian
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Wow this book really seems like a wild ride. It's been awhile since I read a book that could make you feel so many intense emotions. I really like the cover of this book too, it's really unique. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kourtney Bradley

It was definitely intense!
–Vera Nazarian
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Good beginning, not so good ending. I know that feeling of investing reading time only to have this sense of having been shortchanged as the book ends unexpectedly, so to speak. Good to know you still enjoyed the book.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
AriyoJam
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AriyoJam »

Not quite a fan of this book but just like some movies that end not good or meaningless, I think that is done in purpose(well maybe most of the time), so that we set on work our mind and analyzing situations.
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

Klbradley, its a beautiful review. Reality slaps Sam in the face and she loses her fantasy glassy world. Its a repeating theme in life.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”