Review by maiamalanee -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by maiamalanee -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by maiamalanee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is a mystical journey. Located in the beautiful wilderness of Washington State’s Olympic Peninsula, the novel masterfully combines story telling, nature, and native mysticism to create a story of our ancestors and how they affect our present and future.

While getting ready for a long hike into Olympic National Park, Tom Olsen is handed a new challenge: his 13-year-old granddaughter, Sarah. After her mother’s death and her father’s inability to care for her while working overseas, Sarah is sent to her grandmother’s and then handed off to Tom, who has a very different lifestyle than she is used to. Sarah is a rebellious girl who rejects Tom’s values and way of life. William, Tom’s friend, convinces Tom to go ahead with the hike and bring Sarah along.

The next day, Tom, Sarah, William, and William’s daughter Myra, begin their trek into the Olympics. Along the way, Sarah learns the significance of the trip and comes to understand the importance of her ancestors. Sarah brings along her sketch pad and draws anything that catches her eye, which includes a short-faced bear, an enormous bear that is extinct. Angry that no one believes her sighting of the short-faced bear, Sarah disappears. When she doesn’t come back, Tom, William, and Myra go on an epic search. After eight days of searching, Tom and William find Sarah, injured and hungry. She tells the group a fascinating story that will begin to affect the stories of others.

Strong Heart is a wonderful homage to the Native American stories of the Pacific North West. As a native to Washington State, I understand the importance of preserving the lands claimed by the Native Americans, which made the story much more powerful. Sheldon is a wonderful story teller, and you can tell how much research and respect went into the writing.

The book is told from multiple points of view, but the one that stood out to me the most was Sarah’s. I believe that was the most successful part of the story. Each point of view shows character development as we move through the story, but Sarah’s point of view is the most interesting. Sheldon crafts Sarah into a character that is a part of Native American history. The names, the imagery, the structuring of the sentences, the word choices, it is all reminiscent of folk lore. It just proves how skilled Sheldon is as a writer in respect to classic Native American legends.

There were a lot of grammatical errors within the book. The first appeared on page nine, where there is a repeated ‘it’. There are many cases of missing commas. For example, on page 20 there is a missing comma between, “Coming up from Whiskey Bend,” and, “we were on a trail...” This also appears on page 23, where there should be a comma between, “After passing the Lillian River crossing,” and, “they climbed 400 feet...” In addition, the case of the missing comma appears on page 34. The corrected sentence should look like: “...now this company, Buckhorn, is going to...” The commas surrounding the name of the company gives it more emphasis within the sentence. There are missing quotation marks at the beginning of the fourth paragraph on page 45. Surprisingly, during Sarah’s story, there are no mentionable errors.

I noticed many sentences that sounded awkward. One example was on page 11. The sentence, “William caught Myra’s eye, nodded,” reads as incomplete and sounds awkward when read out loud. This occurs many times throughout the book. This sentence structure may be the author’s choice, but it was distracting.

A lot of the terminology is difficult to understand unless you have some knowledge or the patience to look them up. At times, I completely disregarded the words that I did not understand. The Native American terminology has importance within the story, but there was not a definition for them and they were left to infer. Again, this may be the author’s choice, but I would have liked a glossary of the Native American terms used, possibly at the end of the book.

I believe that everyone should read Strong Heart. It has an interesting message that will mean a lot to most of the readers. The flow of the book is walking pace. It can be slow in some parts and fast in others. If you are looking for a book that is action packed, then this is not the book for you. I hesitate to call Strong Heart historical fiction since there are only a few scenes of history, but if you do enjoy reading about Native American history, then you will enjoy this book.

Overall, I really enjoyed the message of Strong Heart. I give it a 3 out of 4. Sheldon is a master at recreating the Native American way of story telling. It is very apparent that he has a deep respect for the Native American cultures. The consistency of grammatical errors, strange sentence structures, and confusing terminology lead me to give the book a 3 out of 4 instead of a 4 out of 4. However, the story was riveting from beginning to end, and its faults should not hinder your decision to read it. Sarah’s story does not feel finished, which leads me to wonder if there is a sequel in the future.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maiamalanee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for your incisive review of the book, Maiamalanee! I really ought to finish reading it.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like author really should have included a glossary. The story line sounds interesting, I might check this one out.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for your insightful review. I'm currently reading this book and finding it tough, I guess I'm a bit more spurred on to continue. Great job.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”