THE HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

THE HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE

Post by Gannon »

I have just read a review of these two books in a magazine. Both of these books seem very interesting to me. Here is a part of the review,

"THE HUNGER GAMES is set in an unspecified future time when things have gone pretty spectacularly badly for humanity. The world, or the bit of it we can see, is dominated by a ruling caste who live in luxury in a city called the Capitol. The rest of us live like peasants in 12 districts that are strictly cordoned off from the Capitol and one another. Life in the districts sucks; it's mostly hard labour - mining coal and farming and working in factories- in dismal conditions. To make things even dismaler, once a year each district is required to give up two of its children, chosen by lottery, and enter them in the Hunger Games. The kids are dropped into an enormous arena strewn with traps and hazards, with a heap of weapons and supplies in the middle. The last child alive wins a lifetime of luxury and celebrity. The action is filmed and broadcast to the entire world."

The author is Suzanne Collins. I am very interested to hear from anyone who has read these books and hear their opinion. The review says that they are targeted at young-adults. They sound similar to a novella "The long walk" by Stephen King. Anyway if you have read one or both of these books please let me know what you think of them. :)
an0nymou5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by an0nymou5 »

That's nice, I have my copy right now! *flips to the first page*

I heard that it was a rip off of Battle Royale by Kōshun Takami. I haven't read the two yet so if you have a chance, read it and see if it's true.
Tom Leslie

Post by Tom Leslie »

Totally amazing books. Loved both of them.
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

wow. Both books were SO GOOD! My only thing with them is that they end! Now I have to wait god knows how long in order to find out what happens next! argh! I hate getting into sequels!
Tom Leslie

Post by Tom Leslie »

Eh, sequels aren't that bad. Its the waiting thats killer :)
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Thanks to you both, seeing as you both seemed to really like these books I am going to give them a read. Cheers :)
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

cool! Let us know what you think!
They are definitely Young Adult books, but the language and literary points are still effective- it's not TOO young. You know how some YA books can be... but these two are stellar. So easy to read and as soon as you open the first pages, you'd better have a good chair to sit in cuz you aren't going to want to move til you're done! :P
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Whoooohooo, "The Hunger Games" just turned up in the mail. Will let you guys know what I think when finished. :)
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I saw on the Book Tag group on Shelfari that the third book is available for preorder on Amazon.com now.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

LauraH wrote:
cool! Let us know what you think!
Great read, I really enjoyed reading this book. Now I have to order "Catching Fire", Ahhhhhrrrrr, I should have ordered it at the same time. :)
Bjiger

Post by Bjiger »

I know!! I hate waiting for sequels. I always forget about the last one after I read about... 3 other books! :roll:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”