The Best Book Ever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

Different books at different times and for different reasons would take my top slot but overall it would be, just for me, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. For me, the book is about living your life by someone else's plan. The someone else loves you dearly, is a smart and wonderful person, only wants the best for you and it simply won't work.
Euphoriameantime

Post by Euphoriameantime »

Envy wrote:
melissa wrote:Uhmmm... For me, the best book ever would be the Bible!
It teaches us a lot of great lessons about love and life in general. :D
"All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword" ~ Amos 9:10

"That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman." ~ 2 Chronicles 15:13

"Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed." ~ Exodus 22:20

More:
Leviticus 16:41-50
Leviticus 25:1-5

Oh yes, very loving >_>
I've oftend wondered why they bother with the old Testament anymore. Most Christians don't go by it, other than the creation, commandements and psalms. You've also quoted nothing but old testament, and I can think of much worse verses as far as violence.

Christians tend to believe that since the first coming of Jesus, God changed from a vengeful malevolent force to a loving and nuturing father figure.

But honestly if it gets you through the day and makes you a better person than any religion of your choosing is a good thing. It's the crazy people that worry me. But they'd be crazy with or without religion. :P

For me, my favorite book would have to be Seth Speaks by Jane Roberts. Whether or not you believe all that stuff, it's still a fascinating book.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver. :D
Manoj08

Post by Manoj08 »

i would like to read books related to science and technology. and which is related to what is about to come.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I read a book that came out in the early 70's, it was written by the people who do the Gallup Poll, its pretty frightening. They predicted what would happen in the future and so far they have hit the nail right on the head. They predicted terrorists, and the war on terror, and what would eventually happen. They said terrorists would plant a nuclear bomb in all the major cities and time them to go off all at once. There is talk of that now. Scary.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:I read a book that came out in the early 70's, it was written by the people who do the Gallup Poll, its pretty frightening. They predicted what would happen in the future and so far they have hit the nail right on the head. They predicted terrorists, and the war on terror, and what would eventually happen. They said terrorists would plant a nuclear bomb in all the major cities and time them to go off all at once. There is talk of that now. Scary.
Do you remember Billy Joel's 'We Will All Go Down Together'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

@ Fran, No I havent heard of that one.

Edit-I just happened to think of a story I read by H.P. Lovecraft, it was one of his first published stories called The Street that had that same theme but without nuclear bombs but it was about foregen terrorists on a certain date rising up and taking over the United States.
whiskeyguy

Post by whiskeyguy »

Euphoriameantime wrote: I've oftend wondered why they bother with the old Testament anymore. Most Christians don't go by it, other than the creation, commandements and psalms. You've also quoted nothing but old testament, and I can think of much worse verses as far as violence.

Christians tend to believe that since the first coming of Jesus, God changed from a vengeful malevolent force to a loving and nuturing father figure.

But honestly if it gets you through the day and makes you a better person than any religion of your choosing is a good thing. It's the crazy people that worry me. But they'd be crazy with or without religion. :P

For me, my favorite book would have to be Seth Speaks by Jane Roberts. Whether or not you believe all that stuff, it's still a fascinating book.
The Old Testament is seen as a teaching tool for various religions, and for Christians it puts the New Testament in context.
Annabell

Post by Annabell »

fang by james patterson....i love the twist of action and romance
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I would have to agree that the Bible is the best book ever written. As far as non-secular books, everyone has their own opinion of that. Some say The Illiad is the best, some say the works of Shakespeare are the best, there are so many that claim to be the best book it would be hard to say which is the best. It depends on a persons own personal taste. In my opinion the best book ever written was Two Years Before The Mast but someone else might say it is the worst. Its just a matter of what different people like to read.
Kmc1

Post by Kmc1 »

I LOVE the Tiger's Curse series! They are YA (Young Adult) novels, but I still love them!!!! I dream to write like Colleen Houck.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

The Catcher of Rye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”