Featured Review: Southern Fried Stories by Deuce Dalton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Featured Review: Southern Fried Stories by Deuce Dalton

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Southern Fried Stories" by Deuce Dalton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Southern Fried Stories is a reminiscent collection of firsthand experiences as told by Deuce Daulton. At under 100 pages, the story is told in an enjoyable and quick fashion. At first, I assumed the book would be a collection of stories told by different perspectives, but the story revolved around Deuce and his experiences, making him relatable throughout.

As a baby boomer growing up in South Georgia, Deuce grew up in what I have commonly heard referred to as “the good old days.” All the food is deep fried, the tea is extra sweet, and the most common phrase heard would be “bless your heart.” The stories told by Deuce alternate between his family, his dating experiences, school life, travel, religion, and enlisting in the military. The comical revelations told by Deuce are laugh-out-loud funny and brutally honest.

Growing up in southern Kentucky (although in a later generation) the stories seemed familiar to me, and it comes to mind that I remember hearing comparable stories from my father and grandfather growing up. The stories told by Deuce are depicted in a way that you simply cannot make up, and everything felt genuine while reading. My favorite story in the collection described a time when Deuce’s family first got more than one channel on TV, and just so happened that they had to attend revival at church at the same time. The chain of events that followed were truly comical with Deuce hoping to be home in time to catch a local celebrity on TV and wishing the pastor would just hurry up already. The service seemed to be speeding along, that is until Deuce’s brother “heard Jesus” and they were delayed.

I was really pleased with how the storyline developed and was well put together. I also liked reading the incorporation of Deuce’s family and how everything felt so real. The end of the story also included an additional letter from the editor (who was also mentioned beforehand in the story) that gives an even more genuine feeling by coming from someone who knows the author personally.

The collection ended strong, leaving me wondering what Deuce was up to now. As a frequent traveler, I’m sure he has even more stories to share with others, and his way of telling a delightful story to keep others laughing and interested is truly a gift. I look forward to seeing if the author will write again. I’m honored to rate this story 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly recommend it to readers who enjoy memoir-like readings with a hefty dose of humor included.

Southern Fried Stories
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I thought about reading this one several times. It does look like quite a good book. Being from the south myself, I'm sure I can relate. I love that it's humorous as well. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

That's one of the reasons I was so convinced to read this one! I live in southern Kentucky so I've heard my fair share of stories such as this!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like a great read. I know that when I first became a Christian I had issues attending meetings because they clashed with my favourite tv shows. Great review.
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks! I hope you'll try this one!
–Vera Nazarian
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm glad the author was able to really capture the essence of the south! This sounds like a fun read. Glad you liked it so much :)
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks! It was a fun read!
–Vera Nazarian
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the great review! I love when authors can make characters realistic and relatable, and I agree with others, I'm glad the author captures the South extremely well. It's awesome that the author made you laugh - I appreciate any author that can do that. Glad you enjoyed the read! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The "bless your heart" line always makes me laugh since it's really a back-handed "compliment." I like books with a strong setting so I am going to take a look at this one.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. I like stories about the 'good old days' and this seems like something I would very much enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Deuce Dalton on such an obviously endearing book.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

A must read for me. I like humor and it sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing this review.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a fun book with a lot of good Southern humor.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This sounds like a fun collection of stories! I havent spent much time in that part of the country, so this might be a quick way to get a glimpse into the culture of those states :)
adusson9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adusson9 »

Woaw :D :) I really enjoy the story So please I wanted to ask you that, what should i do in other to get paid on this site.
Am confussed :roll: :roll: :roll:
hillary kulei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hillary kulei »

it is a well written fun stories thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”