MY SISTER'S KEEPER!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 12304

MY SISTER'S KEEPER!

Post by Mrs.T »

Anyone else read this book? I've decided to skip the movie because I wanted to read the book beforehand. First I'd like to say well written, but honestly the ending upset me. Anyone else feel this way? Or am I alone haha. In my opinion it was not fair.
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper is a breathtaking story of life or death. In my opinion, this is one of the best books I have ever read and some very unexpected things occur that you would really surprise you. I also like this book because there is so much detail that you could create a picture in your mind of the situation and you can get a feel for what it is that any of the main characters are feeling and could feel what it would be like if you were in their footsteps.
I must say that the ending caught me completely off guard. By the end, the chapters get shorter and shorter and it comes to the point where you just want to know what will become of this jilted little girl and this confused family.I highly recommend reading the book.
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

I loved 'My Sister's Keeper' and as sad as the ending made me feel I enjoyed it. It really sent the message that the world isn't fair. Picoult is a fantastic writer, for me the best part of her style is her ability to get into the minds of her characters and express through them what we are all thinking.

I'm hesitant about seeing the film as I enjoyed the book so much and on most occasions the film never captures the real emotion of the narrative. I'm going to wait until I hear from a friend first hand whether or not I should see it.

Having your book turned into a movie is like seeing your oxen turned into bouillon cubes.
- John he Carri
Shari_K

Post by Shari_K »

I've read this book a few years ago but I remember the main story and I did like the book. I thought it was well written and very sad. I felt for the daughter that was born to save her sister, but I don't know what else I would have done as well. I myself have two daughters, one is 16 years old and one is 12 years old. I don't know what I would have done if my daughter was in that situation, most mother's would do anything to save her child, but then again, my youngest is my baby and I don't think I could put her through all that, but I would not want to lose my child either. A very tough dillema!

I was also a little disappointed in the ending, didn't expect something like that. Having said all that, I did enjoy reading the book, though I haven't gone to see the movie yet. Those of you who have read the book and seen the movie, what do you think about the movie? Worth watching?
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I also prefer to read a book and only then to see a film, so this wasn't an exception for me.I must admit that the book is great, though the ending is a bit unexpectable.
jebba95

Post by jebba95 »

Both film & book are great in their own right but compared to book i found film disappointing - especially the ending. I held out and read the book 1st. I did NOT regret it!! I found ending shocking but not very realistic.
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

Dang it, another book I have to read! Browsing this website is bad for a book addict...
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Hated the ending. Couldn't believe it. But then, it seems like that is her style of writing.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
egrisanzio13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egrisanzio13.html

Post by egrisanzio13 »

The book is amazing! On its own, the movie would be good, but it's so different from the book that after having read the book, I was really disappointed with the movie. I mean, really, you can't change the ending!!!!!
talia_in

Post by talia_in »

I've never read the book. I have seen the movie though and it is very
sad.
SaraTejani

Post by SaraTejani »

My Sister’s Keeper was one of the most heart-wrenching novels I’ve read. Jodi Picoult has an amazing voice which absolutely captivates me, and is able to tell these intricate, labyrinthine stories with such unpredictable endings!

Although this book came second on my list of favourite Jodi Picoult’s (I recommend The Pact more than any other novel I’ve ever read), I think the way it’s written, the dimension of realism and the way Picoult can evoke so much empathy from the audience, is on another level.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”