Official Review: Searching For Paradise by T.L.Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Searching For Paradise by T.L.Hughes

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Searching For Paradise is T.L Hughes debut novel, however the level of sophistication in his writing was a very pleasant surprise. Classified as Other Fiction, this book is a coming of age story which follows three friends in their late twenties as they leave one chapter of their lives behind them to embark on another.

Lucas, Declan and Mike had finished university and moved to the bright lights of California to seek their fortune in the film and music industry in the early eighties. After several years of blue collar jobs, struggling financially and not coming any closer to realising their dreams, they became jaded with the whole Hollywood scene and made the spontaneous decision to move to London. This is where the book begins as they leave Huntington Beach and start off on an epic road trip across the country to reach Mike’s hometown where they will catch their onward flight to a new adventure.

Crashing on the floors and sofas of their various friends and family on the way, we see insights into each of the characters as past incidents, both funny and sad, get brought to light. Running through it all is the carefree happiness of life on the road, the great open spaces of America, and all with the soundtrack of the music from the seventies and eighties.

This is not a fast paced, action packed novel. It is however, a smooth running, feel good tale of friends being young, free and searching for some meaning in day to day life. Reading this was like having a long cool drink of lemonade on a hot summer’s day.

Although this was a work of fiction, it reads very much like an autobiography. Written in first person from Mike’s perspective, it’s so full of details, anecdotes and incidents you can’t help but wonder how much is based on fact. This is further influenced by how realistically the characters are portrayed. Lucas and Declan are just your average young adults trying to find their way, like anyone you would pass on the street, and they are so much more believable because of this.

The creative imagery found throughout the story was lovely to read, at some times the whole story felt like a poem. One of my favourite sentences was “life is like a giant quilt made up of all different patches, squares from different places, people and music, all pieced together.”

One thing I found a little frustrating is that some things were repeated several times, which did make the story drag a little. Also the paragraphs were only marked by an indent at the start of the sentence which made it a bit hard to read at first, although this could be the fault of my device.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. As someone who races through books, it made a nice change of pace to read this one. There are times here to just ponder life and to find joy in the small things around us. Sometimes it takes a road trip or a change of scenery to re-evaluate and to put things into perspective. I would recommend this book to a broad general audience as it’s easy to read, there’s no violence or sexual content and it is a lovely book contemplating life, nature and friends.

Searching For Paradise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Repetition can be boring. The author can reduce this. The book sounds like a nice read. Good to know you enjoyed it. Nice review.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

this one is worth reading .
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Olas
Currently Reading: Anything is Possible
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Olas »

The tittle of the book is nice and its worth reading. Very good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely a bummer when you start reading the same thing over. Still, it sounds like an enjoyable work of fiction. I love that they move from Hollywood to London. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think I can overlook the repetitiveness and appreciate the bigger picture of the novel. It sounds like something someone in their twenties could relate to.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Although some aspects of this book sound appealing, like the writing style, the overall premise doesn't attract me. I think this might appeal to a younger audience. Interesting review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! I agree that it seems more like a memoir/autobiography. Glad you enjoyed the book despite the repetitive parts.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

A carefree life on the road? *sigh* sounds wonderful. This sounds like a book I could just relax with whilst reading, just reading your review left me feeling a bit more relaxed. Thank you for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Mehrab1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mehrab1 »

Worth reading title and review,will definitely looking forward to this!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”