Official Review: Something To Dream On by Diane Rinella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Official Review: Something To Dream On by Diane Rinella

Post by noorsawhney »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something To Dream On" by Diane Rinella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something To Dream On weaves a tale about destiny, love, loss and one woman’s fight after an unfortunate series of events snatches her life away from her. Lizetta Lansing has searched her whole life for someone who will love her for her soul, rather than her appearance. Having been bullied as a child for being overweight, Lizetta’s self-esteem has taken many hits but nevertheless, she strives positive and kind every day, and she eventually draws the eye of Jensen, a former drug addict on the path to change. The two fall in love and Lizetta finally feels as if she has a perfect life. Unbeknown to her, a foreshadowed event would occur, an event that would test the limits of her soul and her love for Jensen.

When reading the description of this novel, I was confused as to what the novel was actually about. It described the two main characters but also included various vague rhetorical questions that seemed not to be clearly linked to each other. I found that this did, in fact, describe the novel quite well. Alongside the main plot of the story, there are two separate plot lines or. The first of these involved a fortune-teller showing Lizetta that the Death card was in her reading and predicting a tragic event that would occur. The second was the interludes that occasionally came in the book, the part in italics that would describe Lizetta in some sort of idyllic, fantastical land.

I felt that these two story lines were supposed to remain detached for most of the novel but then were meant to cleverly link back in and make all the pieces fall back together; the author did attempt to do this but it wasn’t particularly clear and I still remained confused. In addition to this, there was a painting that was significant, talk about destinies and Lizetta’s bizarre guardian angel experience. All these elements did not quite fit together in the span of the book and to craft such a rich and complex storyline featuring these elements would have taken a longer book, to get it right.

Despite being confused by the plot, I thoroughly enjoyed reading from the point of view of the characters. Each character – mainly Lizetta, Jensen and Laura – had their own distinct voice, which is usually difficult to achieve when chapters are split between characters. I found Lizetta’s parts particularly enjoyable, because of her upbeat attitude and positive outlook on life. She was a good, well-rounded, realistic character, as was Jensen and Laura. I was a little disappointed at the way that her character development panned out, as it undermined her as a person and put Lizetta on a pedestal for saving her. She was an interesting character and I would have liked to see some personal development in her.

Lizetta’s journey throughout the story and Jensen’s personal battle were definitely my favourite parts of the plot. They were believable and very human struggles. Jensen’s attempt to resist temptation was something I, and many others, can identify with; both his and Lizetta’s development from their struggles defined them well as characters and gave the novel more realism amidst the more surreal events that take place.

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a light-hearted and enjoyable read. Despite the side plots being a little complex and not quite tying together, the main plot was interesting, the writing was engaging and the characters were well-shaped and likeable. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy romance and fantasy books.

Something To Dream On
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like noorsawhney's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

It's too bad that some of the plot was confusing. This would have been a great read if the the plots made more sense. It's nice that the characters were well rounded and relatable. Great job on the review.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Great review, and I give you props for sticking with it even though the plot wasn't the easiest to comprehend. It sounds like a lovely book otherwise!
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html

Post by noorsawhney »

ZenaLei7 wrote:It's too bad that some of the plot was confusing. This would have been a great read if the the plots made more sense. It's nice that the characters were well rounded and relatable. Great job on the review.
Thank you, and yes I completely agree!

-- 21 May 2017, 13:02 --
godreaujea wrote:Great review, and I give you props for sticking with it even though the plot wasn't the easiest to comprehend. It sounds like a lovely book otherwise!
Ah thank you!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

For a novel about a romance, the plot does sound a little confusing and complex. The characters seem very interesting from the former addict who is trying to change his life to a woman with deep self esteem issues. I'm interested in reading more about their characters.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It almost sounds like the author should have left the side plots off and focused on the main plot only. The side plots definitely sound confusing. I'll probably avoid this one because of that. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Hmm I can't decide if I would like this or not. It sounds like some parts of the book just weren't that coherent. I enjoyed reading your summary of it, however. Thanks :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”