Official Review: Full Blown by Atevia Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Full Blown by Atevia Robinson

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Full Blown" by Atevia Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Full Blown is a modern-day fiction novel written by Atevia Robinson. The story is told in different perspectives throughout, with some parts in first person as told by the two main characters, and others in third person. Published in December 2016, author Atevia Robinson takes readers on a whirlwind ride, as this story is as twisted as one can get.

The main character, Linda, seems to live a life that is as perfect as can be. She’s beautiful, smart, and until recently, her life has been exactly what one would hope for. Her problems arise from being 17 and thinking she is always right. Disagreeing with her mother constantly, especially in regards to her choice of new husband, Linda runs away with an older man, Greg, who she thinks loves her. It doesn’t take long for Greg to show his true colors, and starts forcing Linda to sell her body for sex. The abuse and men come and go, and soon enough Linda is addicted to drugs.

Daze doesn’t come from wealth or perfection, but he has a family that worked hard to get where they are, and did their best to raise their children with what they had. Daze has a decent job, his own apartment, and lives a happy and satisfied life. That is, until Linda comes around and turns his life upside down. Linda is hiding a terrible secret, one that destroys people all around her. Just when Linda thinks she can outrun her past, her terrible secret comes out of hiding.

The pacing of the book was quick and suspenseful. With the story being right around 100 pages, it was a quick read, but certainly not light due to the dramatic lifestyle choices that are mentioned. The themes expressed within Full Blown are certainly not acceptable for younger readers, as there is detailed mention of abuse, as well as drug use consequences. My only complaint with the story comes with the editing. There are several sections throughout where the writing and communication seemed a bit choppy and hard to follow. With a proper run through of editing, Full Blown has the potential to completely “blow” readers away with its suspenseful content.

Due to my small complaint with the editing errors, I rate Full Blown 3 out of 4 stars. Although definitely not the right choice for immature readers, this story is one that takes readers on an unforgettable ride through torment and despair, and leaves the reader feeling as though they personally know the characters. The story was well developed throughout, and has consistent suspense and thrill, which is exactly what I look when choosing a book. I must give a reader’s discretion warning, as there are some severe explicit scenes throughout.

Full Blown
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's interesting that for such a short novel there is so much content and suspense. The author must be very talented to be able to accomplish that within a few pages. The character, Linda, sounds intriguing and I would love to see how her character develops in the story.

Great Review! :character-daphne:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It seems hard to find a good story that is shorter in length like this one. It seems that the author developed the story well despite the shortness. Sounds pretty intense. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Perhaps this story is about 'when we don't listen to others, we have to learn the hard way'.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

This should be a tale of caution for young ladies. I am shocked that a girl of 17 years will elope with a grown up man, but it happens. I hope this book gets wide publicity and readership to alert potential girl victims to the dangers ahead should they choose erratic paths. An appreciable review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow. I am really grateful for the reader's discretion warning. it does sound like the writer did a good job in the character development department because the length is short but the drama is a heap.
On another note, your third paragraph introduced Daze in what seemed to me a very abrupt way. You had already mention that there were two main characters so I figured that Daze was the second one along with Linda but it still felt like Daze just jumped in to your review.
Otherwise, I am really grateful for your review.
Kourtney Bradley

Chrys Brobbey wrote:This should be a tale of caution for young ladies. I am shocked that a girl of 17 years will elope with a grown up man, but it happens. I hope this book gets wide publicity and readership to alert potential girl victims to the dangers ahead should they choose erratic paths. An appreciable review.

I totally agree! Should be a tale of caution!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting and very intense book. I may feel uncomfortable reading about abuse but the book seems like a really good read. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting and very intense book. I may feel uncomfortable reading about abuse but the book seems like a really good read. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank You!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”