Official Review: We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy" by Ira L. White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Won’t Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy by Ira White follows one family as they experience various highs and lows during one very tumultuous period of their lives. Robert McGillicuddy, a widower, is forced to retire in order to better care for his father, Gil, a WWII veteran. His early retirement and the overall poor state of the US economy force Robert into financial and emotional stress like he’s never before experienced. To complicate matters more, Robert’s daughter Ruby, and her pre-teen daughter Sapphire, are headed to live with Robert after Ruby falls pregnant by her drug addicted ex. Feeling the significant effects of the financial crunch, as well as the stress of caring for an aging father and pregnant daughter, Robert turns to his blog as an outlet. Through his blog, Robert vents about his many frustrations with society. To Robert’s surprise, his blog begins to garner a fairly large following. But are the wrong people getting a look at Robert’s blog?

The plot is filled with multiple elements that make this story unique. At its core, the novel is about the value of family and the difficulty in selflessly caring for both old and young. However, the story adds a political element via Robert’s blogging and the possible repercussions he faces for his somewhat radical ideas. Towards the end, this plotline takes to the forefront and the novel moves in a thrilling new direction.

The best aspect of We Won’t Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy is the expert development of the main characters. Told from the third person omniscient point of view, the author vividly paints the picture of father and son and their all too common, everyday struggles. Gil’s frustrations towards his deteriorating physical and mental state, as well as his fears of being a burden to his family, are expertly narrated. Similarly, Robert’s financial struggles, frustrations for caring for his needy father, and desire to help his pregnant daughter were equally well drawn. The author’s language aids in making both characters sympathetic and relatable.

Through his prose, the author clearly articulates his points without any flowery or ponderous writing. Even scenes depicting Gil’s various ailments and frustrations were done so in a manner that felt relevant and never boring. The narrative flows nicely and the overall pacing keeps the reader excitedly turning the page.

Ira White wonderfully captures the incredibly difficult relationship between a child and their aging parent. In these cases, the child, in turn, becomes the caretaker as the roles they have always known are quickly reversed. We Won’t Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy is an emotional and poignant read that comes with elements of a political thriller. Though the book was not action packed, I could not stop reading about Robert and his family. I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend anyone who has gone through a similar experience with an elderly parent, or those who enjoy fiction about strong family values to read this book.

We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. Sounds like there's a lot going on in this story. Many hardships and difficulties. Yet the author seems to develop the story well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow. Sounds like there's a lot going on in this story. Many hardships and difficulties. Yet the author seems to develop the story well. Thanks for the review.
Yes, many different avenues are explored but the author expertly ties them all into one cohesive plot! Thanks for taking a read :tiphat:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a great review! I love that this book speaks about the value of family. Family is the core of everything in life and it's nice that the author explores that here. Great characters also add to any read. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the book and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

hsimone wrote:What a great review! I love that this book speaks about the value of family. Family is the core of everything in life and it's nice that the author explores that here. Great characters also add to any read. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the book and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Thank you! This book really was one of the best I've read in a while. :)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Stories which touch family issues are heart moving. Every time a family is involved, one is ready to sacrifice his happinness just to see the family members happy or in good shape. This is a heart warming book.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Stories which touch family issues are heart moving. Every time a family is involved, one is ready to sacrifice his happinness just to see the family members happy or in good shape. This is a heart warming book.
Thank you for stopping by! I agree, family issues are always important and emotional. This really was a good one!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like the book explores some important themes (Dementia, family values, relationship). It is great that the author managed to capture so well the relationship between the child and his aging parent. Not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
OlgaNM
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olganm.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OlgaNM »

It sounds like a well-observed story and it brings together a lot of very important themes. Being a blogger myself, this sounds like a must read. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like how you said the story shows expert development of characters. I'm sold! Character development is more important to me than a plot so if it is expertly done in a book, I want to read that book!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Although I usually enjoy books with a bit more action, this sounds pretty good. Great review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congrats on being BOTD. A political thriller mixed with family problems caring for a elderly father and pregnant daughter sounds interesting .Will be checking it out.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I love how well you laid it all out for us so very well that we can't help but want to read this book. I normally would pass on this one, as I have been the parent, the child, as well as the child turned parent to a parent with dementia and the topic is still too fresh and painful but this really sounds like a must read. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds like an interesting book about family values. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank You for the great review.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

This looks great! A lol of good, important themes are drawn together making this a great book to read when I need a break from the action packed books I normally read. Thank you for this insightful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”