Official Review: An Adjunct Down by Harvey Havel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Official Review: An Adjunct Down by Harvey Havel

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Adjunct Down" by Harvey Havel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Adjunct Down by Harvey Havel is a very interesting story. Archie, the narrator tells the life story of his friend, Reginald “Reggie” Meeks similar to a biographical way. At first, I found this approach surprising, but as the story progressed, I found it to be nice in an original way. I learnt a new word, ‘adjunct’, which means ‘assistant’ but the author perhaps had a more profound meaning in mind while assigning the title of the book. The title has a sense of foreboding, which can be confirmed only after reading the book.

Archie works in the mail-room of the university, delivering mail to many people, including the elite and the underprivileged. He is content with his job. He did have a prior job at a bank, which paid more but at the price of his mental calm. His father left him and his mother when Archie was very young, so Archie had to earn his own bread and butter. He adores his mother who has helped him live, if not a luxurious one, a livable life.

Reggie teaches Black History in the same university. Unlike his predecessors, he wants his students to learn more about many revolutionaries other than rote memorization of the lives of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. He is passionate about his job. His father owns a restaurant and, along with his mother, Boo and sister, Laney, he helps out as a dishwasher. His father dislikes Reggie’s enthusiasm for academia and would prefer him giving more time to the restaurant. His mother is caring and affectionate, though she doesn’t express her appreciation for his studies in an exuberant manner.

Reggie meets Wonder Robbins, a white classmate of his, who is very passionate about the course. Both Archie and Reggie are black. Reggie begins to date Wonder, without the knowledge of either of their parents. Will it work out? Or will Reggie succumb to his father’s wish of dating Bianca, a black girl who knows only to party hard?

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The conflicts between the white and the black have been explained quite well without many people getting hurt. I disliked the use of foul language but appreciate the author’s effort to downplay the graphic scenes. The method of explanation is in a way like “what not to do in life” but the flow was spectacular. Characterization of Reggie Meeks is perfect. Though I expected it to be Archie’s story, I was satisfied with the approach. I felt that the ending could be fine tuned, but perhaps I do not share the same views as the author. I found quite a few editing mistakes, which I am sure could be rectified.

I think people who want to succeed in life, despite their past, must learn from Archie. People with a passion for life would definitely like this book. If you do not appreciate foul language, this is not the book for you. Yet the underlying moral is quite clear.

An Adjunct Down
View: on Bookshelves

Like Swara Sangeet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

White versus black or white versus the colored people is still an exigency. I hope this book will reach those who need to shift their attitude towards culture.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:White versus black or white versus the colored people is still an exigency. I hope this book will reach those who need to shift their attitude towards culture.
Sadly, this is quite true. Interracial conflicts still exist despite equal rights. A wonderful thought from your side. I hope it reaches them too.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I definitely wouldn't have picked this from the title, but it does sound like something that is needed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. I definitely wouldn't have picked this from the title, but it does sound like something that is needed. Thanks for the review.
The title does give a sense of foreboding, but it adds spice to the mystery of it all. The book is inspirational at the end and the approach is quite new. Hope you like it!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book with endearing characters. I'm so intrigued about how things will turn out between Reggie and Wonder. Great job on the review.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book with endearing characters. I'm so intrigued about how things will turn out between Reggie and Wonder. Great job on the review.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. It means a lot to me. It's true that their tale is rather intense and intriguing as well. The story has quite a few original twists. I hope you like it!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very insightful review. It just seems odd to me that you mentioned Reggie teaches but then he starts dating a classmate. Is Reggie a student-teacher at the Uni or is this Wonder Girl a classmate from his student days? The review is great but just that has me a little puzzled.
Also, thanks for teaching me what adjunct means.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Jaime Lync wrote:Very insightful review. It just seems odd to me that you mentioned Reggie teaches but then he starts dating a classmate. Is Reggie a student-teacher at the Uni or is this Wonder Girl a classmate from his student days? The review is great but just that has me a little puzzled.
Also, thanks for teaching me what adjunct means.
Thank you and you are welcome! Reggie is a professor and Wonder is his student. Yes, a new type of relationship, indeed.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”