Official Review: Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Chil...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Chil...

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Children" by Anthony Segil.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Children written by Anthony Segil is a very unique novel for the reason that it isn’t quite non-fiction but it also isn’t actually fiction either. The novel is mainly filled up with letters written from parents to their young children; giving advice, explaining hopes and dreams, or just generally telling their children how much they love them. People from all walks of life give a glimpse into what their lives are like; but one think is abundantly clear, no matter the race, color of skin, or religion, parents love their children unconditionally with their deepest being.

The road of life is definitely not an easy one to travel; it is filled with heartache and pain, but also beauty and joy. This novel gives advice about learning from the pain but not letting it take away from the beauty of life. Each letter gives insight into the parent or sometimes grandparent’s life experiences, they all have seen so much and know the most valuable things in life are not what money can buy you, but are things like the sunshine on your face, a child’s laughter, and being kind to someone when you think they least deserve it.

Because this book isn’t a conventional story written by one author, but a collective work of many, the writing style varies a great deal between each letter. Some are very simply written while others are more eloquent. No matter the writing style of the letter, each one radiates absolute love for the recipient. The main author of the novel explains in the foreword that to preserve the feeling behind each letter, only the simplest of editing was done on each letter so that each one was legible, yet the tone of voice that the author had intended was preserved. While it may not have the most detailed of editing, it doesn’t cause the reader any issues. It is a simple read, one that I accomplished in one short sitting.

This novel truly touched my heart as a parent, nudging me to enjoy the little moments in my children’s lives and to express my love for them in new ways. These encouraging letters left me with a desire to attempt my own letter writing to my children, whether they are the most beautifully written letters or not, they will be from the heart, which is what matters the most.

This simply written, yet touching collection of letters will definitely bless the hearts of anyone who reads it. While it is written from parents to children, one doesn’t have to be a parent to benefit from this novel, it can spread wisdom to anyone who picks it up. One more unique quality of the novel that adds to its charm is the fact that all proceeds from the novel goes towards children’s cancer charities. Although, this was definitely an unconventional novel, it was one I truly enjoyed being able to read and would recommend to anyone looking for something uplifting to read. Because of this I give Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Children, 4 out of 4 stars.

Love Notes: Letters from Parents to Children
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't have children, but this sounds very inspirational. It would be interesting coming from many different parents. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an inspiring book. It seems like a great book for parents like myself. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Anthony Segil on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”