Official Review: Advancing on Chaos by Michael T. Tusa Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Advancing on Chaos by Michael T. Tusa Jr

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Advancing on Chaos" by Michael T. Tusa Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Advancing on Chaos by Michael T. Tusa Jr. is a book in the fiction section. The story is set in New Orleans, where the annual Southern Decadence festival is about to take place. Reverend Jessie Ray Elder, a highly popular and respected minister, is also gearing up for his yearly ritual of protesting this LGBT festival. But this year things are about to change. The entry of a homeless, ex-English professor, who goes by the name of ‘Zarathustra II’, unintentionally rakes up a storm as he publicly questions the priest’s dogmatic beliefs, which leads to a media contest of sorts.

A passionate fan of Nietzsche, Zarathustra II believes that God has disappeared and whiles away his time preaching the same to others. The Reverend, on the other hand, staunchly follows the Bible, which has earned him many followers, but driven away his wife and son. The situation worsens when Zarathustra II names Nicholas, the Reverend’s son, as his first apostle. To control the situation, the Reverend issues a public challenge and a theological confrontation is about to take place on the day of the festival. The same date is predicted as the day when a hurricane will move over the city. Who will succeed in weathering the storm, literally?

I should point out beforehand that this book, in my opinion, is meant for a niche audience, because some of the content might not appeal to everyone (might even offend some). Also, this book is not so much about the plot, or even about the characters, but more about what philosophy these characters endorse or what are the beliefs they stand for. That said, I immensely enjoyed reading this book, and one of the reasons, surprisingly, was Nietzsche (I never really liked him in school), and other intellectuals mentioned in this novel.

'It is a cultivated illusion that provides some comfort in an often uncomfortable existence.' This, I think, captures the essence of this novel, which has been immensely enriched with copious amount of research from various books and theories. It might have turned out to be dry read, with so many intellectuals quoted and explained, but with simple yet well-defined characters, with their own tale to tell, this novel kept me engaged till the end.

This is a first person narrative, in Nicholas’ voice, which is a clever move, because Nicholas’ reading list was severely restricted by his father, and consequently Zarathustra’s arrival in his life, makes him question the beliefs deeply ingrained in him since childhood. The other characters also add depth to the novel, like how Madeline (the Reverend’s wife) stopped going to the church because he made God so difficult for her.

Despite the serious confrontation between blind faith and the spirit of inquiry, there is an overall element of hilarity in the plot, thanks to the eccentric, and sometimes outrageous characters. The author’s description of New Orleans with its peculiarities is also interesting. Covering multiple themes from LGBT rights to gender equality to secularism to media sensationalism, the author weaves a plot that has riveting scenes and poses more questions than it answers. Readers, who enjoy an entertaining, thought provoking read, should definitely check this one out. This is one of the most enlightening books I’ve come across in a long time, and it surely deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

Advancing on Chaos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I will definitely love this book because as you said, it would leave us thought provoking questions.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Sounds like this one is definitely for a very specific audience (as you nicely pointed out). Not sure if it's really my cup of tea, but I think some aspects of it would definitely be thought provoking. Great job on the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this would be a little too deep for me. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy deep thinking, but not during my pleasure reading. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks, all of you! :)
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Seems like an interesting and unusual book. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”