Review by Genna H -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Genna H
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genna-h.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Genna H -- My Trip to Adele

Post by Genna H »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele by R.I. Alyaseer and A.J. Alyaseer, a sibling duo, is a triple threat. The book has three separate plots with one common thread – the plan of seeing Adele live in Verona. Each plot could stand independently and, though I tried, I had a hard time choosing whose story I liked most.

The book begins with a young man named Elias, who lives in Rome; a transplanted citizen originally from Marrakesh, Morocco. His journey takes him back to his home land in search of a long lost love, Malika. There he hears the occurrences since his departure and walks down memory lane. One of his key memories is teaching Malika English through the music of Adele. Malika has left the area, but there’s a note left in the care of a friend, that tells Elias that she will meet him at an Adele concert.

The second story of the book is set in Las Vegas, USA where Yaser and Mariam are having struggles within their marriage. They visit a counselor who encourages them to find a happy memory that could reignite the love between them. Cue the memories. Yaser decides that the upcoming Adele concert in Verona is the best choice, since he had proposed while an Adele song was playing. The only problem is that he doesn’t tell Mariam about it until their session with the counselor. This begins an argument between them that is not easily resolved.

The third story takes place in Amman, Jordan and centers around a divorcee named Nadia and her goal to take her Adele-loving son, Waleed, to the concert. She has promised Waleed that they would attend; she’s purchased the tickets, hotel, and travel; she’s even gotten their passports after coming to a travel agreement with her ex-husband whose name is not given. Everything seems in order, but sometimes people are cruel, and this seems to be the case with Nadia’s ex as he manipulates the situation and negatively influences her care for their son.

Each of the stories briefly touches on a moral – Elias encounters the horrors of child prostitution; Yaser and Mariam encounter faith vs. doubt with a smattering of an experience of the Las Vegas underground filled with homelessness and filth; and Nadia focuses strongly on women’s rights. The statements are not lost in the story; however, they are only deeply expressed in the story of Nadia, whose journey to see Adele would not have been “worthy” of being written were not her rights trampled by a traditional and sexist culture.

In Nadia’s world, her ex-husband has the final say; her tribal leaders “manage” disputes without any consultation with her; and her boss is able to deny her time off simply because he can. Nadia displays a level of emancipation that they simply cannot understand. Her anthem in the book can be summed up by these thoughts, which she expressed: “No customs or laws or tribes could define me. I was free! I had been free for eight years and I always would be.”

This was a thought-provoking and entertaining book, earning a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The characters were well-defined and the plots captured my sympathy and my passion. It may be considered inappropriate for younger readers as there is some sexual content, but beyond that, My Trip to Adele could be enjoyed by anyone and especially those who love Adele.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Genna H's review? Post a comment saying so!
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

Thank you so much!
I really appreciate the encouragement. :)
Jubilee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jubilee »

The book is interesting
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

Yes. It was definitely a fun read. ☺
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a very interesting book. When I first read the title, I thought Adele was supposed to be the name of a place, but was surprised to find out that it is a reference to the singer. Great job on this review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

Thanks. ☺
It was a good read. My 9 year old, Adele-loving daughter can't wait until she's old enough to read it!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Genna H wrote:Thanks. ☺
It was a good read. My 9 year old, Adele-loving daughter can't wait until she's old enough to read it!
You're welcome. :tiphat: Also, it's great that your daughter is enthusiastic about reading!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed this novel. I also read and reviewed it a while back and agree with your rating.
Paida
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Paida »

Hello Genna

Your book is awesome.I like the fact that you had multiple settings all brought together in the same place. Plus besides I am a huge fan of Adele.
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

I have been looking for a book like this to read, thank you for the recommendation. I guess I didn't know what i was looking for until i found it. It's my next read. Will comment when i am done.
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

Genna honestly you really put in lots of efforts in the book and coming out with such an amazing outcome is really impressing...
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

I don't know if I'm reading some of the comments wrong or not, but just to clarify, I did NOT write this book, though I am flattered that it could be construed as such. Unfortunately, I only reviewed the book. ?
Kremena Boyanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kremena-boyanova.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Kremena Boyanova »

I like the review very much! The three different stories seem intriguing and I like the fact that each touches on a moral. After reading this review, I definitly will read the book! Thanks!
Kmdonald
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Kmdonald »

Great book
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for writing such an interesting review. I especially liked your focus on the "moral" side of each story, which I also noted when I read (and subsequently reviewed) the book; it was, thus, a surprise to know that it falls under the "Romance" genre although this didn't alter the fact that I loved reading it.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”