Official Review: Toil...ing by Jeff Nitzkin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Toil...ing by Jeff Nitzkin

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toil...ing" by Jeff Nitzkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've just finished reading Jeff Nitzkin's new book Toil...ing. Instead of reading it in one go like I prefer to read a book for review, life had me put it down and pick it up several times over the course of the month. It just so happens that the book is designed to be digested in such a way. The title is a contraction of "toilet" and "reading", referring to snippets of text short enough to read during a bathroom visit or three. It is a compilation of essays ranging from 1 1/2 to 5 pages long. Most of them are funny, but some are serious. They are all thought-provoking.

The 230-page Toil...ing covers a wide range of topics, but recurrent themes are food, commerce, social graces and general life wisdom. It is evident the author has considered his subjects in depth, as he expertly relates his thoughts on them with brevity. Mr. Nitzkin's lifetime business experience is apparent in his witty observations of marketing, price setting and sale schedules.

I really enjoyed Toil...ing. The pieces are appealing and stimulating. Essays at the end of the book ("The Gracious Guest", "Brian Williams....What Will You Do?" and "Spot On") are just as appealing as "Third Couple Rule", "A Meltdown" and "Summer Jobs" are at the opening of the collection. Mr. Nitzkin includes a compilation of articles ranging from hilarious to sobering. A couple of funny lines that stand out for me are "Noon is for gunfights and cigarettes" (from "Lunch") and "There is no high four!" (from "The Handshake"). The author's examination of parent-child relationships and his own childhood is touching in "Mom and Dad".

Mr. Nitzkin's humor is smart and side-splitting. I can imagine his pieces being delivered by Jim Gaffigan or Paula Poundstone. I was getting over a chest cold while reading this book and some of the essays, including "Road Rage Rule" and "The Dentist", had me bursting out with such unbridled laughter that I had to put the laptop down and excuse myself from the room. What unattractive grimace took residence on my face as I struggled to maintain at least a modicum of composure? Regardless of how I looked, I felt so much better afterward. This was a case of laughter truly being the best medicine. Thank you Mr. Nitzkin.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The topics are engaging, the text flows well and, with only a handful of grammatical errors, the book appears to be professionally edited. As icing on the cake, the author delivers scathing social commentary without using an excess of profanity. I look forward to reading more from Mr. Nitzkin. He can put an unattractive grimace on my face any day.

Toil...ing
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow, this is the type of book that I would never pick up purposefully; I do not typically go for the essay collection style. However, it seems like this is a gem worth the time. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't gravitate toward this type of book either, but it does sound quite interesting. Who doesn't love a good toilet read? Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you for your replies. I really had a good time with this book. I hope you both get a chance to read this collection and enjoy it as much ad I did.

-- April 3rd, 2017, 6:41 pm --
e-tasana-williams wrote:Thank you for your replies. I really had a good time with this book. I hope you both get a chance to read this collection and enjoy it as much ad I did.
Oops! I mean as much as I did. :D

Cheers!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”