Official Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cancer, Faith & Butterflies" by Johnny M. Sanchez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joe Connelly has what many men would want in life: a family business, a baby, and a beautiful wife. Yet, everything Joe has is overshadowed by a painful, devastating issue. His wife, Brooke, is losing her battle against breast cancer, and there’s nothing Joe can do to change that. He’s facing a future without Brooke and has no idea how he’ll properly care for his young daughter in Cancer, Faith, & Butterflies, a novel by author Johnny M. Sanchez.

There are complex aspects to dealing with death and grief. In this novel, the author tackles that complexity in a down-to-earth way, chiefly through Joe, a believable protagonist. Joe wants to raise his daughter in a manner that will honor Brooke, a Christian woman. However, Joe has never fully shared Brooke’s faith. There’s a realistic tension between Joe’s desire to respect his wife’s wishes and his struggle to decide if the God she prays to even exists.

Then, Joe not only has to cope with the harshness of the present and the uncertainty of the future but also the reality of the past. The problems that are compounded to the plot are related twists, not arbitrary ones. Hence, the plot remains engaging without wandering. A story that could have been merely dark or depressing becomes poignant as the author brings all the pieces together.

Although the writing style is clear, there’s a novice feel to the wording and the flow. The characters exclaim in “all caps” at times, which can be effective in informal communication but can seem over-the-top in a novel. The writing is also repetitive in places, in the excess of semicolons and especially in the author’s substantial overuse of the word “just.”

However, my main concern is the number of errors in the novel, particularly regarding the dialogue. Sometimes the author has two or three different characters all speak in the same paragraph, but there should be a new paragraph for each new speaker. There are many missing quotation marks, and in numerous places, there are no dialogue tags between a character’s words and the character’s actions. For instance, “He smiled” is not a dialogue tag. It would need something other than a comma before it leads into the smiling character’s words.

There’s also a good deal of past/present tense confusion, run-on sentences, and apparently random treatment of the pronouns for God. Unless the differences are there to add meaning to the story, the pronouns for God should be consistent, either all capitalized or all in lowercase. As an additional note, if Christian or inspirational fiction readers are this book’s target audience, a number of them may be put off by the handling of some of its material, including the language. There are many who’d consider words like “hell” and “damn” to be inappropriate when used in ways other than their literal meanings.

Nevertheless, despite the book’s technical and stylistic imperfections, the story itself is relatable and well-thought-out. It deals with difficult, real-life issues in a way that cultivates empathy. Therefore, I give Cancer, Faith, & Butterflies a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend this novel to fiction readers who appreciate stories that bring hopeful messages out of tragic situations.

Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Cancer touches everyone in one way or another, so this book seems very relevant. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kandscreeley wrote:Cancer touches everyone in one way or another, so this book seems very relevant. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. :) Indeed, grief and hope are universal.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book with a great plot. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book with a great plot. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank you kindly. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a touching and heartbreaking tale full of lessons. Too bad about the errors.
Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

gali wrote:Sounds like a touching and heartbreaking tale full of lessons. Too bad about the errors.
Thank you for the review!
You're welcome! Glad I came across this novel. :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your insightful review! This seems like a book with a lot of emotions, but I'm glad that the author did not make it depressing. It could have easily gone that way. Too about the amount of errors, but I'm glad that you were still able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for your insightful review! This seems like a book with a lot of emotions, but I'm glad that the author did not make it depressing. It could have easily gone that way. Too about the amount of errors, but I'm glad that you were still able to enjoy the read!
Yes, the starker, more depressing reads I come across do make me appreciate books like this more.
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

It seems to be a sad one, but interesting story.Thank you for the review.
Last edited by Henry Kaisemutala on 19 Mar 2017, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Wow, that is quite a lot of errors. I don't think I would be able to make it through the whole book. I'm glad that it has a good message and leaves the reader feeling hopeful. Thanks for the nicely done review.
cherlyn
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cherlyn »

This is a really nice book, showing how life is never perfect. He has everything a man wanted, however, his wife has breast cancer and is gonna die. This is something real-life, unlike some books which are so unrealistic.
Cherrylollipop
Currently Reading: Majesties of Canaan

Post by Cherrylollipop »

This book is not my type, but quite interesting
btstaehyungie
Currently Reading: The Thin Blue Li(n)e

Post by btstaehyungie »

Congrats on #BOTD! Sounds like a nice book!
Cherlyn Lee
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)

Post by Cherlyn Lee »

This is a really good book to teach people that life is never perfect and we should cherish our lives :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”