Official Review: Grand Central Station

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Official Review: Grand Central Station

Post by Insomniac07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grand Central Station" by Marsha Casper Cook.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grand Central Station is a short romance novel by Marsha Casper Cook. It is the story of the Hudson women; Grace, Victoria, and Ava. The Hudson family loves each other dearly, but just like most families, they also drive each other crazy at times. This tale is about accepting each other's flaws, leaving your past where it belongs, and giving love a chance. Victoria is a dedicated pediatrician, mother to three children and the sole breadwinner of her family. This journey begins on that fated day when Victoria’s youngest son, Andrew, bumps into Dr. Jack Winston, who is a renowned author of books on parenting.

From the blurb posted for this book, I was expecting it to be a story of two people who have different opinions on various parenting techniques. Unfortunately, that wasn't the story I got. The book does start off on a high note. It introduces flawed but realistic characters. There is an emphasis on all relationships and not just the romantic ones. I especially liked the way the author portrayed Ana's loyalty to her sister, Victoria. I even liked Angus, the Hudson family dog. More often than not, his snarky comments echoed my thoughts and sentiments while reading this story.

However, halfway through the book, the central conflict (or so I'd assumed) was resolved. The rest of the novel was spent introducing and subsequently wrapping up new subplots. On the whole, the plot felt very jumbled and disorganized. This inconsistency within the storyline made me feel disconnected with the characters. Since they did not have any real crisis or dilemma, they came across as whiny and melodramatic. They turned from normal, relatable people to very unrealistic and two-dimensional characters.

Like the plot, the writing style too was highly erratic. The book is mostly written in 'third person limited' with multiple viewpoints. However, sometimes the viewpoint character would know things they couldn't possibly have prior knowledge of, at that moment, in the context of the story. An example of this is a scene in which Jack bumps into Victoria’s 6-year-old son Andrew for the first time, and he knows the kid's name before being introduced.

Overall, I’d give this book 1 out of 4 stars. It has the potential to be better because the author did have a good beginning and a great set of characters. She can also write amazing dialogue. However, I can’t recommend this book to others in its current state. I’d suggest going through the manuscript with an editor to fix the plot and technical issues.

Grand Central Station
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insomniac07's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like it could have been interesting, but it falls very short. I definitely won't be reading it, but thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! It sounds like it could have been interesting, but it falls very short. I definitely won't be reading it, but thanks for the review.
Yeah, I had such high hopes from this book, judging by the sample on amazon and summary given. Such a let down. :(

Anyways, thanks for commenting. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. It seems like the book is not as good as you hoped it to be. Good job on the review.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. It seems like the book is not as good as you hoped it to be. Good job on the review.
Thank you. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your honest, thorough review. I almost chose this book for review a few months ago so your opinions were particularly interesting to me. It's too bad the plot wasn't more cohesive. It's hard to want to keep reading when the plot goes off in too many directions.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your honest, thorough review. I almost chose this book for review a few months ago so your opinions were particularly interesting to me. It's too bad the plot wasn't more cohesive. It's hard to want to keep reading when the plot goes off in too many directions.
Thanks for commenting. :)

I wish I could say the plot went in many directions. This one went nowhere. There was no sense of drama or excitement because the main 'plot' that I'd looked forward to reading was already over.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”