Official Review: At The End of The Day by Madelyn Killion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: At The End of The Day by Madelyn Killion

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At The End of The Day" by Madelyn Killion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered if your mail carrier thinks about you and your family? Worse still, have you ever suspected that he (or she) reads your mail? At the End of the Day by Madelyn Killion is a novel that explores the lives of five people over the course of one day. Frank is a postman who has an unusual and secret hobby. He reads the mail of the people on his route. It is more of an obsession than a fleeting nosiness, as he jots down notes and maintains detailed files on them. As much as he is interested in other people’s behavior, Frank is not nearly as attentive to his own family.

The writing in this book is something to savor. The author gets to the heart of the unfulfilled lives the characters lead. However, I was surprised to discover a somewhat different story than I expected from the summary. The plot is not about people from five different households along a mail route. Instead, the characters are all from two families – one on Frank’s mail route and his own family. Although their stories are interesting, the premise of reading other people's mail is more of an initial plot device; it is a relatively small part of the book rather than the central storyline. As a result, the story is not as original as I anticipated.

The author does a good job of switching between the lives of these families. The imagery is vivid to the point where I could picture even the minor aspects of each scene. The characters are well drawn and intriguing, even though I sometimes felt like I was watching a car accident in slow motion. No one is particularly likable. They lead unhappy lives and the short bursts of excitement often come at the expense of others. There doesn’t seem to be anyone to root for other than a sad teenager who deserves a lot more than the hand he was dealt. Even he is not the nicest person; for example, he refuses to return a younger child’s ball after it rolls toward him in the park.

A few sections of the book are more than a little uncomfortable to read. There are two incestuous relationships, one of which is described in flashbacks to the distant past. Although the subject matter fits into the overall theme of what goes on behind closed doors, it is over the top to include two such relationships in a book that is not primarily about incest. Although there are no graphic scenes, the overuse of this topic is a queasy turn-off.

I found only one pesky error (“as if her were made”) in this well-written book. Also, there are two instances where a sentence is highlighted, which made me wonder if the Kindle download was a draft.

The book moves forward at a steady pace, which is impressive considering the mix of several characters’ stories. There are also a few plot twists that are creatively written. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although the concept is interesting, I enjoyed the story a little less as I kept reading. Still, the writing is top-notch and readers who favor books about family secrets may want to check this one out.

At The End of The Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I never wondered about my mail carrier's thoughts, but I do now... :wink:

The concept sounds interesting, but I don't think the book is for me. Thank you for the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound quite interesting. I think when the book is edited well overall the one or two mistakes are even that much worse. I doubt I will read this due to the queasiness you described, but it is a great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:I never wondered about my mail carrier's thoughts, but I do now... :wink:

The concept sounds interesting, but I don't think the book is for me. Thank you for the great review! :)
Thanks Gali! We used to have a friendly postman that sometimes made comments such as you got a package from a certain company, so it's probably - - -. It felt a little weird even though he was really nice.

-- 15 Feb 2017, 10:41 --
kandscreeley wrote:It does sound quite interesting. I think when the book is edited well overall the one or two mistakes are even that much worse. I doubt I will read this due to the queasiness you described, but it is a great review!
Thanks! It's so true that one or two errors stick out like a sore thumb when a book is otherwise edited well. Even though there were a few parts that were a turn-off, the book was still a worthwhile read.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Very interesting. Sounds like one I will skip but I love the mailman reading mail idea ... very creepy.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Elaine5 wrote:Very interesting. Sounds like one I will skip but I love the mailman reading mail idea ... very creepy.
Actually, he wasn't really that creepy in the story...another character was!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds intriguing. For some reasons it reminds me a little of the movie 'The Postman' starring Kevin Costner though there is no similarity between the two :) . I have to agree about using two incestuous relationships being 'over the top' when one may already make a reader feel uncomfortable. Great job on the review.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Great review! :)
The concept is new and slightly uncomfortable. :? Though the book seems interesting, I think I'll pass.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:The premise sounds intriguing. For some reasons it reminds me a little of the movie 'The Postman' starring Kevin Costner though there is no similarity between the two :) . I have to agree about using two incestuous relationships being 'over the top' when one may already make a reader feel uncomfortable. Great job on the review.
Thanks Kimmyschemy! I never saw that movie, but I am going to see if it's on Netflix. :) The book was very well-written even though I was glad to say goodbye to the characters at the end.

-- 21 Feb 2017, 15:03 --
ananya92 wrote:Great review! :)
The concept is new and slightly uncomfortable. :? Though the book seems interesting, I think I'll pass.
Thanks Ananya! I agree that the plot is unique. I am certainly understand why you might not want to read the book. :)
Frank the Asset
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-the-asset.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Frank the Asset »

Two different incestuous side plots are definitely too much. The author could've integrated something different. I like the overall premise of the letters. I don't like that the letter writer's name is Frank too haha.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Frank the Asset wrote:Two different incestuous side plots are definitely too much. The author could've integrated something different. I like the overall premise of the letters. I don't like that the letter writer's name is Frank too haha.
The premise of the postman reading people's mail was unique, but I was a little disturbed by it. Hopefully, my postman is more interested in reading the mail he receives at his own home, instead of the mail he delivers. :lol:

I also get creeped out when a main character has my name, especially if the character is crazy!
Frank the Asset
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-the-asset.html

Post by Frank the Asset »

I definitely don't want a character with my first name to be a mad baddie. Perhaps I wouldn't mind so much if that character was a Johnny Depp kind of mad though. Crazy, or is he? Lol.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nicely written review, as always! I was a certified mail handler in the Army, so I know that opening and reading another person's mail is a huge no-no! I am curious about how Frank was able to pull it off without getting caught!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! The idea sounds interesting, but the incest definitely makes it a book that I will not be reading. But great job with the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”