Review by breyfoglese -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Review by breyfoglese -- My Trip to Adele

Post by breyfoglese »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele – Review

What My Trip to Adele lacks in satisfying plot resolution it makes up for with its elegantly and compassionately realized characters. While the references to Adele’s music sometimes feel forced, and the writing is clearly translated from its original Arabic, the individual narrative of each character and the emotional depth of their journeys makes for an enjoyable and compelling read. I rate this book three out of four stars.

My Trip to Adele follows the narrative of three extraordinarily different characters and the role that an upcoming Adele concert plays in their lives. These characters - Elias, a romantic-hearted man whose long-lost love still haunts his thoughts; Yaser, who feels trapped in a floundering marriage; and Nadia, a single mother in Jordan trying to protect her son and live her own life – never physically interact. Instead, their stories are connected through the constant references to Adele and to her songs, which are quoted for thematic content. While compelling in theory, this device is often heavy-handed, and a reader who does not like Adele will find this book has little to offer them.

That being said, each individual storyline is stunningly realized, full of life and passion. Each character is skillfully developed and easy to empathize with; even Yaser, who is perhaps the least likeable character, is sympathetic in his clumsy inability to speak openly with his wife. The narratives have an almost autobiographical quality, despite the high emotion running through them. Because music is such a strong motif, the characters feel strongly embedded into their environments, playing Adele’s songs on their phones or in their cars. Without this solid realism, the emotional moments would feel melodramatic; with it, they feel genuine and passionate. My Trip to Adele does not have an ending that is concretely happy, but it does feel truthful to the characters.

Sometimes, the writing feels hampered by its translation from Arabic to English – other times, it seems to soar poetically because of it. A few awkward sentences here and there somewhat disengage the reader from the story, but others are compellingly beautiful. The biggest thing I would have liked to have seen, however, is a stronger link between the three storylines. Traditional Yaser, for example, would have created a fascinating dynamic if he had been allowed to interact with independent, feminist Nadia. The musical link may be stronger for readers who love Adele’s music, but for readers like myself who are lukewarm fans at best, it feels like an insufficient connection.

Overall, My Trip to Adele is a flawed but ultimately beautiful exploration of human nature and the nature of love. Through music and passionate human connection, the authors have created a delicate book that at times seems to transcend its weaknesses and become something truly important. I did not expect this book to stick in my mind for so long after I read it; when you read it, you may be surprised too.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like breyfoglese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

A great review! I did feel the translation from Arabic to English a few times in the story,
but I thought it may be because of the accent of the authors; didn't realize that this book
is a translation! So, what shall I say, a fantastic translation!

I have also reviewed this book. I would appreciate if you could go through the review
and let me know of your comments there:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41610

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”