Official Review: The Blue Car by Frederick Bruce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Blue Car by Frederick Bruce

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue Car" by Frederick Bruce.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blue Car: A Trilogy by Frederick Bruce is a fiction collection of three short stories that interconnect in various ways. In the first story, Lori feels unfulfilled working for an insurance broker, despite earning a good salary. She dreams of being a masseuse and decides to change careers. After going through training, Lori starts her own company as a licensed massage therapist, scaling back on her lifestyle to achieve her goals. It’s an uphill battle as money is tight and it’s difficult to build up a client base. There is also a side plot about one of Lori’s clients that has an impact on her future.

“Jason’s Story” (each story’s title includes the name of the character) focuses on a young attorney’s lifelong desire to be a history teacher. Jason became a lawyer at his father’s urging since childhood, but his real passion is teaching. A thorny issue is that his fiancé’s father is a partner in the firm Jason works for; in addition, Jason is hesitant to disappoint his own father. In “Sara’s Story,” a woman is fired after a client makes sexual advances and then tells a different tale to the owner of the company.

The main characters are vividly written with clear backstories. Jason is particularly likable and relatable as a person who is strongly encouraged by his father to become an attorney. It’s fairly common that parents will steer their children toward certain goals, such as specific colleges or careers. While the plot veered off track a bit with long passages about the legal profession, this information was still interesting. I liked the way the stories are intertwined through the characters’ interactions and common themes. There is also a creative way Lori’s car is linked to the characters in the rest of the trilogy.

The writing is easy to understand, but lacks depth. The stories are slow paced and I didn’t feel a sense of urgency to keep reading; for a relatively short book, it took longer to read than anticipated for this normally fast reader. The overall concept is interesting and the characters are realistically written. However, the individual storylines are not very compelling. Instead, it’s really the threads that tie the characters’ situations together that make this book shine.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the ways in which the author linked the stories. In particular, the climax of the book is both unexpected and satisfying. There are several errors throughout the book, although nothing that is too distracting. I would recommend this collection to readers who enjoy short stories with likable characters and a positive message.

The Blue Car
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a nice book. A pity the writing lacks depth. I am glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank you for the insightful review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! The author did a good job of tying the three people's stories together.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Do you think the author focused so much on connecting the stories that it was detrimental to the overall depth? That was my first thought, when you mentioned lack of depth.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

CatInTheHat wrote:Do you think the author focused so much on connecting the stories that it was detrimental to the overall depth? That was my first thought, when you mentioned lack of depth.
Interesting question! I do think the author might have started out with an overall concept to link the stories. The lack of depth I mentioned relates more to the writing style which is a little basic. At times I felt like I was reading a book geared toward younger readers. Hope this makes sense.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:[

Interesting question! I do think the author might have started out with an overall concept to link the stories. The lack of depth I mentioned relates more to the writing style which is a little basic. At times I felt like I was reading a book geared toward younger readers. Hope this makes sense.
That does make sense, thanks for explaining.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

A nice and thorough review. Inter-connecting different stories into a big story is always a fascinating read to me, specially because of how the author ends it and how that affects different threads.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great well-rounded review, bookowlie! Lacking depth and slow-paced definitely is not to my taste, but it's nice the characters seemed to have some depth. Glad you were able to enjoy it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The plot sounds great. I like it when an author is able to link characters with separate stories, it takes a lot of thinking. Too bad, though, about the lack of depth. Great job on the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

sourav15 wrote:A nice and thorough review. Inter-connecting different stories into a big story is always a fascinating read to me, specially because of how the author ends it and how that affects different threads.
Thanks Sourav15! Intertwining the stories was what made the book more interesting than a collection of three standalone stories.

-- 07 Feb 2017, 12:19 --
hsimone wrote:Another great well-rounded review, bookowlie! Lacking depth and slow-paced definitely is not to my taste, but it's nice the characters seemed to have some depth. Glad you were able to enjoy it!
Thanks Hsimone for your kind words. :) Although the book isn't terribly slow-paced, I did find that the book took a lot longer to finish than I expected, given the short length (75 pages).

-- 07 Feb 2017, 12:21 --

Thanks Kimmyschemy! The way the stories connected was very creatively done.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a book with good characters, but I admit that I like the book to urge me to continue reading. This doesn't sound like it would do so. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

As always, a great review! Im not usually a fan of short story combinations, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

klbradley wrote:As always, a great review! Im not usually a fan of short story combinations, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
Thanks for your kind words. :). I don't read a lot of short stories either, but there is a nice perk that comes with the genre - you don't have to wait too long to find out the ending!

-- 09 Feb 2017, 10:12 --
kandscreeley wrote:I love a book with good characters, but I admit that I like the book to urge me to continue reading. This doesn't sound like it would do so. Thanks for the review!
Thanks Kandscreeley! I will say that the last sections of the book were very engrossing and gave me a more positive view of the book overall.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Hey bookowlie. Read your review and couldn't help but wonder how a lawyer ends up wanting to become a history teacher. Jack sounds interesting lol. His dreams should be the other way around.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:Hey bookowlie. Read your review and couldn't help but wonder how a lawyer ends up wanting to become a history teacher. Jack sounds interesting lol. His dreams should be the other way around.
Hey Cee-Jay, long time no see! Hope all is well. Actually, Jack's real passion was history and he always dreamed of being a history teacher. His father was the one who pushed him to be a lawyer. You see, the father was an accountant and was very impressed by the lawyers he had dealings with.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”