Official Review: Unbreakable by Rianne Moss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Unbreakable by Rianne Moss

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbreakable" by Rianne Moss.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unbreakable by Rianne Moss is the second book in "The Dynamic Journey" romance series.

Natalie is a recovering heroin addict who got sober six years ago after learning she was pregnant. When her boyfriend, Scott, was unable to remain sober with her, she made the decision to be a single mom to her daughter. Now she has a steady job and is in a happy relationship with a man who cares deeply for her and her daughter. For her daughter's sake, Natalie is still concerned about Scott's well-being and his extensive drug use. She attends an intervention urging him to go to rehab so that he can be a better father.

Seeing Scott succeed and come back from rehab once again acting like the man she once loved, Natalie starts questioning her current relationship. Although Daniel acts like the perfect boyfriend and gives her everything she could ask for, her relationship with him lacks the passion that always came so naturally with Scott. Natalie isn't sure that her feelings for Scott will ever go away completely. Does she owe it to her daughter to give Scott another chance and become the family she always wanted? Will Natalie ever be able to fully trust him after all they have been through together?

Not having read many books with main characters who have addiction problems, I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this book. The struggle that Natalie faces with finally being in a healthy relationship while simultaneously experiencing old feelings for the father of her child, is something I think many people can relate to. Scott is someone who will never be completely out of her life and she will always have a soft spot for him. The ripples that these feelings cause in her current relationship play out beautifully and was honestly the best part of the book.

Unfortunately, the writing doesn't quite live up to the overall plot line of the book. The writing feels very stilted at times and the dialogue between the characters fails to flow naturally. It makes their interactions feel very inauthentic and forced. While I was reading, I frequently pictured the characters as bad actors who were reading from a script rather than real people who were saying what they were actually thinking. It felt like the author was simply trying to move the story from point A to point B by having the characters say things out loud rather than letting the reader rely on the writing to understand what was happening.

Despite being the protagonist in this book, Natalie is never fully described and feels like a very one dimensional character. We are told that she has a job as a prep cook in a restaurant, but we never actually see her at work. The only thing Natalie does in this book is worry about her relationships and nothing else. Her appearance is never really described in any kind of detail, further making it difficult to grasp who this character really is.

Another problem I had with the book was the lack of chemistry. Besides the fact that Scott and Natalie were in a previous romantic relationship, there was nothing shown that would make the reader think these characters still loved each other. It felt like it was out of left field when they began talking about possibly getting back together because they acted more like distant acquaintances than anything else.

Although I enjoyed the overall concept of this book, I have to give it 2 out of 4 stars. The characters had little personality and their interactions with each other felt contrived. There were errors throughout the book that were also very distracting and halted my reading numerous times. I think this book has a lot of potential and could benefit from another round of editing. If you are a fan of romances where the protagonist is torn between love interests, you might like this book.

Unbreakable
View: on Bookshelves

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising and intriguing. Too bad, though, about the total execution especially the unnatural flow of dialogue. Good job on the review.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you. i hope the author will do some heavy editing because I think this has the potential to be a great story.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

It seems like this book had potential. Too bad about the errors, though. I hope the author takes your advice and edits it. A really great review, by the way. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

ashley_claire wrote:Thank you.
You are welcome!?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I mostly enjoy science fiction and young adult books, however I do like a book with some good drama occasionally. The story line in this definitely has potential, too bad it wasn't well executed. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It's a shame about the writing quality of this book, as the story itself has so much potential. Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for the kind words :)
Clarisa
Currently Reading: Bard's Exile
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clarisa.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Clarisa »

The storyline does seen interesting and could have worked, but how you at sayin that there is a lack of details really discourages a read. Details and changes of environment are important. I don't want to just be reading about a girl decideing which relationship she wants without background details! Great review!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

More description would have made this a much better story. Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”