Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Mubassa's Dream and 18 Legends fr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Mubassa's Dream and 18 Legends fr...

Post Number:#1 by Sarah_Khan
» 21 Jan 2017, 15:06

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mubassa's Dream & 18 Legends from the Land of Nod" by John Satchmo Mannan.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Sarah_Khan
Share This Review

Mubassa’s Dream & 18 Legends from the Land of Nod by John Satchmo Mannan is a unique set of children’s short stories. This collection of stories is a great tool to teach kids various important values like respect, love, and acceptance. What makes this book unique is that it is not only enjoyable for children, but it is also something that parents will take delight in. Throughout the novel there are certain jokes and puns that only adults will understand which makes reading all the more fun because there is something in it for everyone. The author even states that these stories are aimed at anyone from age 8 to 88.

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author is a well-educated man who has been a university professor for over 30 years and it truly shows in his writing. In between certain short stories and at the end of the novel, the author writes his own philosophical musings and includes a set of poems that are aimed at older audiences, those were by far my favorite part of the book.

The short stories themselves are fun to read, with animals being the main characters for the majority of the parables. There are illustrations at the beginning of almost all of the stories, they are bright and fun with bold colors and lots to look at for kids. The tales vary in length, some are only a few pages long while others are much longer. For certain parables, the author introduces the story by a poem. Some of the lessons learned by the characters are very clear to understand while other times I had to do a bit of thinking to understand what the lesson was supposed to be.

The one thing I was surprised at, but appreciated about this novel is that the theme of God is prominent in most of the tales. While I understand this might deter those who are not religious, I thought it was nice and actually kind of brave for the author to make sure his stories also taught kids to believe and trust in God. I for one, have never read a children’s book that mentioned any type of religion so it was refreshing for me.

The only complaint I have about this book is the editing. There were multiple instances of periods being used where they should not be, misspelled words, and sometimes more than one exclamation point was used which I found a bit redundant and unprofessional.

Overall, Mubassa’s Dream & 18 Legends from the Land of Nod by John Satchmo Mannan is a great, fun book of parables that I would recommend to anyone who has a kid in their lives. It is a treat to read for both children and adults.

Mubassa's Dream & 18 Legends from the Land of Nod
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah_Khan

Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading: The Angel of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 256 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 88 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Mubassa's Dream and 18 Legends fr...

Post Number:#2 by Insightsintobooks
» 27 Jan 2017, 00:27

I think this sounds like a great children's book. I like that there are aspects for adults in it as well. Great review.
Insightsintobooks's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Insightsintobooks

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#3 by dbrooks8109
» 31 Jan 2017, 11:48

Great review! I can't wait to get it to read to my little ones. This sounds like a very interesting book for everyone in the family.
dbrooks8109

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 68%

Post Number:#4 by kimmyschemy06
» 05 Feb 2017, 05:06

Seems like a great read for both children and adult. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#5 by Mark Johnson
» 05 Feb 2017, 08:32

Great review. It sounds like a book my youngest daughter would like, we will have to check it out.
Mark Johnson's Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Mark Johnson

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by sourav15
» 06 Feb 2017, 01:41

It seems like a good children's book, which even others can enjoy. Certainly a credit to the author to produce pieces which are targeted at children but give everyone some food for thought.
sourav15

Currently Reading: Consciousness
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 75%