Official Review: Wisdom's Way by Steven A. Barben

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Wisdom's Way by Steven A. Barben

Post by Insightsintobooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wisdom's Way" by Steven A. Barben.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wisdom's Way: Tales, Treasures, Truths by Steven A. Barben is a collection of short stories and parables filled with wisdom and everyday truths. This collection was written by the author over a period of twenty-five years. Some of these stories will probably feel familiar. A few stories have similar themes to other known parables, yet they have a uniqueness all their own.

Some of the lessons in these stories are straightforward. Still, other stories require contemplation to assess their meaning. The themes in this book cover everything from accepting others, true wealth, and finding beauty all around us.

Every so often, throughout the book there are little sections of two or three of the author's thoughts. These small pearls of wisdom were among my favorite parts of this book. I liked that the stories were broken up into sections by these "thoughts" and "final thoughts" from the author.

There is a short story entitled, "Somewhere, Somebody Loves that Boy." This story is written in poetic format and is among my favorites in this book. The poetic format of this story really caught my attention. It flowed very well and was written nicely. This story tells of a young boy who takes a stand against his new friends that bully others.

The author's writing is easy to follow. It is written in an more conversational tone. Each of the tales and parables touches on a multitude of ideas. These stories can be read on many levels. They can be read as simply stories for entertainment or on a deeper level of philosophy and spirituality.

I think that some might be able to gain insights from this book. I, however, did not particularly find anything new. Overall, this does not subtract from the readability of this book. I think that rather than reading the stories as parables they can simply be read as everyday stories for entertainment. A few of these stories, while not directed at children, could be used to teach them important concepts such as friendship.

Wisdom's Way
was edited very well. There was only one grammatical error in this book, that I encountered. I am glad that I only encountered one error as it would have ruined the book for me otherwise.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would only give it three because I was aware of the concepts and there was nothing new for me.

Wisdom's Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insightsintobooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds interesting, but is probably not for me. I like longer tales rather than the short story format. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Insightsintobooks

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:This sounds interesting, but is probably not for me. I like longer tales rather than the short story format. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome, thanks for the reply.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound interesting. It's not something I normally would read, but it's intriguing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Insightsintobooks

kandscreeley wrote:It does sound interesting. It's not something I normally would read, but it's intriguing. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for the reply. I hope you like it if you decide to try it.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a lovely collection. I love stories filled with wisdom and truth. I may be able to get past the fact that some of the stories have familiar ring to them. Great job on the review.
Insightsintobooks

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a lovely collection. I love stories filled with wisdom and truth. I may be able to get past the fact that some of the stories have familiar ring to them. Great job on the review.
The collection was lovely. Thank.you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”