Official Review: The Payback Game by Tempe Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Payback Game by Tempe Brown

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Payback Game" by Tempe Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terrorism and national security are some of the hottest topics in current political news and Tempe Brown utilizes these talking points to fuel her political thriller The Payback Game: Sixteen Days of Terror. Sabyl Martin is the owner of a limousine company located in Washington DC. As well as having many important political clients, Sabyl often contracts with the government to provide car service for major events. Due to her line of work, Sabyl inadvertently becomes enmeshed with a terrorist organization responsible for the assassinations of multiple chief political officers. All the while, Sabyl is dealing with her ex-fiancé’s attempt to rekindle their relationship and the looming possibility that her physical health is in serious decline. Brown’s chilling tale has many present day implications.

The author wonderfully sets the scene for the events of the story to unfold. The geographic descriptions provide clear images of life in Washington D.C.; likewise, the character descriptions of professionals working in the area seemed realistic. It is easy to believe that Sabyl is an elite business woman having dealings with the White House; the same goes for her ex-fiancé, Scott, a secret service agent. Furthermore, the secondary characters are given personality to help carry the story along.

Though the story’s premise and the basis for the characters appear exciting, the execution of the narrative was rather dull and anticlimactic. The plot lacked any real surprises and the outcomes were predictable and banal. Further, many of the characters have moderately developed personalities, but they fail to excite the reader because they are incredibly elementary; the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. The main “good guys” all lack any type of personal or ethical flaw; similarly, the bad guys are fundamentally bad and we are given no character insight to humanize them in anyway. The one dimensional bad guys weren’t as bothersome because they were terrorists and it is understandably hard to humanize a terrorist; but the lack of any imperfection in the protagonists only hindered the already unimaginative story.

The events in the novel suffered from many of the same setbacks found in the characterization. Although the circumstances surrounding the characters are frightening, nothing bad really happens. The best possible outcomes of all the terrible situations explored in the plot prevail. The happy endings made the book feel idealistic and impractical, especially given the focus on terrorism.

Tempe Brown showcases quality writing and an interesting premise in this novel. However, the one dimensional characters coupled with the predictable and easily managed events in this story are hugely disappointing; therefore, I rate The Payback Game: Sixteen Days of Terror 3 out of 4 stars. I would have considered giving this book a higher rating if the plot had not been so predictable. I recommend this book to those who enjoy light political thrillers and books with strong female leads.

The Payback Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I'm not much into political thrillers but the premise of this book sounds very promising. Too bad, though, about the total execution especially the characterization. Great job on the review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I'm not much into political thrillers but the premise of this book sounds very promising. Too bad, though, about the total execution especially the characterization. Great job on the review.
Thank you! Was hoping for a bit more with this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

One dimensional characters definitely turn me off nonetheless that this is a political thriller. It's not for me. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do enjoy political thrillers but not predictability. The basic premises sound intriguing but it sounds like it isn't something "new".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”