Official Review: Flaherty's Crossing by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Flaherty's Crossing by Kaylin McFarren

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flaherty’s Crossing by Kaylin McFarren is a novel about a successful thirty-something artist dealing with long-simmering family issues on different fronts. It can be categorized in the General Fiction genre. When Kate Flaherty visits her father who has end-stage cancer, it brings back memories of her mother’s death years earlier and the aftermath. At the same time, Kate’s marriage is imploding due to drifting in different directions and suspicions of cheating. When her car swerves on the ride home, she walks to a nearby diner and things take an interesting turn.

I quickly became engrossed in this book and found it hard to put down. After an introductory scene between Kate and her father on his deathbed, Kate starts thinking about her marriage. She and her husband Drew find it difficult to discuss their marital problems. There are really no bad guys here - just resentments that have built up over time and two good people who are overly involved in their careers.

The story is told in the third person with alternating points of view. The main characters are realistically written and their different perspectives allowed me to get a better understanding of both sides of a marriage in crisis. The only downside is that I would become impatient to continue reading “Kate’s chapters,” which I felt were the heart of the book. Kate’s Aunt Sophie is a particularly intriguing character, although all of the supporting characters are well drawn. There is also a suspenseful subplot that kept me on my toes.

I loved the light-hearted tidbits sprinkled throughout the book, such as the nosy neighbor coming by for some flour and the funny way the couple met (Kate accidentally dropped a ten-pound book on Drew’s foot at a restaurant). These short scenes created a nice depth and balance against the more serious themes.

Although the writing generally has a smooth flow, the descriptions can be a little overdone at times. Here are a few examples: “the heels of her hands hit first, bulldozing two paths in the mud like fleshy garden hoes;” “Kate’s fear devoured oxygen like the backdraft in a blazing fire;” and “she raised her hand to flag the car down, its white orbs prancing on her pupils.”

As much as I enjoyed the entire story, there are a few twists and turns that made my jaw drop. The author does a wonderful job of tying the seemingly separate parts of the plot together. This book has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to basically anyone who likes a well-crafted plot with layered characters.

Flaherty's Crossing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds nice. I am glad that you enjoyed the book, twists or not. I like well-crafted plot with layered characters, though I am not sure if the book is for me. Thank you for the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:Sounds nice. I am glad that you enjoyed the book, twists or not. I like well-crafted plot with layered characters, though I am not sure if the book is for me. Thank you for the great review! :)
Thanks Gali! This is one of those books that start off good and gets even better as it moves along, It was a pleasant surprise!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I love a book with realistic and layered characters. I think it is great that both sides of their marital problems are told.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I love a book with realistic and layered characters. I think it is great that both sides of their marital problems are told.
I also liked it that the couple's issues were shown from both perspectives. There were no bad guys here and I was rooting for both of them.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think I would enjoy this book. I would like the characters as well. Thank you for the great review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I'm glad the characters are multi-dimensional and realistic. I also love books that have twists and turns, it keeps things interesting. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Insightsintobooks and CrescentMoon for the nice feedback. I really enjoyed the story and would read other books by the author.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like a wonderfully entertaining book! Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. It also seems like a story that a lot of people can relate with specially about 'good people who are overly involved in their careers.' That sounds like almost everybody :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Kaylin McFarren on such a well written book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Elaine and Kimmyschemy! Kimmyschemy. It's so true that the couple's preoccupation with their respective jobs sounds like pretty much everybody. :)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very well written review. You truly make the book seem like quite an interesting read. Very cool that you enjoyed it so much!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Rssllue! I was really impressed by the way the author moved the plot along and tied certain side plots together throughout the story.
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

needing faith and trust in others can be hard to do, but the sample says alot to draw my interest,. :D
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Congrats on the balanced review! Will definitely read this labyrinth type of plot!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”