Official Review: The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Compulsive Move" by Phillip Cornell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: The Compulsive Move!, by Phillip Cornell

The Compulsive Move is the story of Kevin, a young man who is striving hard to make a better future for himself. As the story opens, Kevin is struggling to make the money in order to fund his move from St. Louis to Chicago in order to pursue his dreams of art school.

This story is all about dreams– what it means to have them, what one has to do to achieve them, what one does when other people don’t believe in your dreams, and when to consider giving up on your dreams– or alternatively, choosing to keep following them.

This is a very real story. There is no dramatic deus ex machina that produces an intense or surprising ending. Nothing magically happens to make Kevin succeed or fail. It seems pretty clear that there are thousands of Kevins in the world, people who have a goal, and who set up a plan to pursue that ambition, and work hard to achieve their heart’s desire. But even the best laid plans are no guarantee, and sometimes despite one’s best efforts, life or luck get in the way, making it exponentially difficult to get what one wants.

The pacing is steady but also leisurely. The reader gets little glimpses at the forces that might hold Kevin back, the dedication Kevin devotes to his goal, and his reasoning behind his actions. Kevin is bright and dedicated to making his dreams come true, but he is by no means perfect. Sometimes he makes mistakes or takes unnecessary risks, but more often than not he shows himself for what he is– a young man who is still figuring out how life works. This story is actually pretty short– it’s a novella rather than a full-fledged novel, but there is a lot packed into a relatively brief space.

At times one wishes that Cornell revealed a little more about Kevin’s youth and connections with his family. When certain family members are dismissive or hostile to Kevin’s goals, one gets the sense that something must have happened to their own dreams in the past that may have embittered them. Also, several passages are a little stilted and need a bit of polishing in order to flow more elegantly.

By the end of the narrative, it becomes clear that Kevin’s story does not end alongside the novella. It’s very possible that Cornell will write more about Kevin in the future, and I look forward to seeing more of Cornell’s work.

I give this book three out of four stars.

The Compulsive Move
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GKCfan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think this sounds like an interesting story. I like that nothing magical happens to Kevin and that it seems relatable. Thank you for the great review.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you, Insightsintobooks. I appreciate your writing that!
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

A real story about dreams...How important it is to have them, what to do in order to achieve them, how to react when others don believe in your dreams and the decisions to take when a dream is not fulfilled. Sounds an interesting weekend read. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an inspiring book. Discovering your dream and living it is the way to go.

it is great that the reader gets "little glimpses at the forces that might hold Kevin back". Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

At one point or another, we all have had a dream or goal that we wanted to pursue. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Other times, along the journey, we realize that it isn't something we even want anymore because we find something better for ourselves. I'm looking forward to reading this book today! I can't wait to see the challenges and roadblocks he ran into along his journey. No matter if the decisions he made along the way were good or bad, they were obviously powerful enough to make an impact on his life. Sounds like a book we can all relate to...congrats to the author and thank you for sharing your story!
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

At 59 pages its not long but it tells a story about following a dream. And dreams are important.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Seems interesting, but rather short. I might check this one out, but not sure yet.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congratulations to the author for making BOTD. This sounds like a really interesting book of attempting to make you way in life and the forces that can get in the way.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This book sounds like one that almost anyone can relate to. Everyone has dreams of some kind, big or small. I'm very interested in reading Kevin's story. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Love that the book is about following your dreams and yet is still realistic.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This doesn't appear to be a book that I'd be interested in reading. I sampled the first ten pages, but nothing stands out to me. I may just have to bog down and read through to the end to understand its worth. Thank you for the thorough review.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review. Although I don't think I'll be reading this book, the story of Kevin sounds very relatable.

-- 21 Jan 2017, 12:43 --
melni
Favorite Book: Swept Away
Currently Reading: Higher Is Waiting
Bookshelf Size: 1275

Post by melni »

I appreciate your review. It seems very thorough and well thought out. It shows Kevin's plight and I can feel the pain of his aspirations. I'm going to add this one to my must reads cause the struggle is real, and in youth, when you don't have support for your vision for your life, it is really bumpy at times. Great job on the review and congrats to the author for the BOTD!
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

Very good review. Sounds like a great read. The cover is eye-catching. Congrats to the author on BOTD!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”