Official Review: The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Official Review: The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

The fact that nothing magical happens when Kevin succeeds or fails is very relatable. For a 59-page novella, the life lessons were delivered well. Congratulations on a great review.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
TeriRich268
Currently Reading: Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to Action
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teririch268.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by TeriRich268 »

Although the description says that this book is Literature/Fiction, I would go a step further and note that a young adult reader would be the perfect audience for this book. Some of the situations mentioned by the author, I feel that I have had similar things happen to me as well during my early days as a young and silly employee.

Similar dreams and heartbreak concerning a new job. As an older adult, I am afraid I don't find the same story as interesting. the narrative seems to drag in some spots. I just wish there was something a little more to push the story along.

Other than those couple of things...it reads well for the most part and Kevin's character appears to be well developed despite being a short novel.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

This seems like an interesting read....it is good that the story does not have a magical ending...I feel that sudden climaxes in a story that focus on dreams and belief should have a very realistic feel. It is indeed tough when others do not believe in your dreams..it really does makes you reconsider your decision. The cross road that you have mentioned "when to consider giving up on your dreams– or alternatively, choosing to keep following them" is something that most of us have come across...thanks for the review! It motivated me to pick this book up soon!
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I would love to read The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell because it has z great setting and plot. The story line being about making money quickly can have its great side.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I really appreciate all of your kind comments. Thank you!
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

This sounds interesting. I like stories without a deus ex machina involved -- where the characters make mistakes, aren't perfect, and have to go through the trials and tribulations of real life. Also, stories that are focused on people's dreams resonate with me, as I'm sure they resonate with others. I like to see a good success story, especially with all the nitty-grittiness!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice review! This sounds like an inspiring read about a young man who perseveres. I like that it's a short read too. Sometimes you don't need a lot of words to get your message across.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Awaiting where Keven takes us on his next journey, Great job reviewing this book..
SandraH
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandrah.html

Post by SandraH »

Your review makes this story sound interesting. Even though this genre is not my first choice, I sometimes like stories like this one. It sounds like something we could all relate to and since this is kind of a short read, I think I'll give this book a try. Thanks for your insightful review.
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Thank you for such a thorough review, Explained very well.captivity pulled me in , and wanted me to see what was going to happen next.Great review.

-- 27 Jan 2017, 19:07 --

Interesting Introduction.. I think it has a good story plot.Kept me wondering what was about to happen in the next chapter. Thanks for your review.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Great review. This seems like a book I might enjoy. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Thank you for the review. I don't think I will be interested in reading this kind of book. I feel sad for the hero when you said that there is no magic for him.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”