Review: A Hollywood Ending by Robyn Sisman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Review: A Hollywood Ending by Robyn Sisman

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

Paige Carson has had to deal with Hollywood drama ever since her acting career took off. After finishing a film with yet another conceited co-star, however, she's finally fed up. She agrees to do some Shakespeare in London, for much less money than she usually makes, just in order to get away from Los Angeles. Ed Hawkshead, her new landlord, isn't exactly thrilled to be housing a celebrity. He's a serious documentary-maker, and he doesn't appreciate the types of movies Paige acts in, nor the diva persona he expects her to have. He's not the type of polished, polite Brit Paige expected either. And yet, as Paige and Ed overcome their expectations of each other, they find that they may be just what the other needs. But with misunderstandings and work drama in abundance, will they be able to overcome everything to be together?

There were certainly pieces of this book that I enjoyed, but I found much of it so unrealistic that I couldn't even attempt to believe it. For example, Robyn Sisman's portrayal of Hollywood. It was like a combination of every cliche and Hollywood horror story I've ever heard. Extreme drama, back-stabbing, arsehole-ness, and conceit on every page of the first part of the book, which took place in L.A. And Paige, who was supposed to be the protagonist, was just as much a part of this, which made her character initially very unlikeable. I usually enjoy reading about famous actors, even when the world they're depicted to live in is negative, as long as the protagonist has some redeeming qualities. The first part of this book though, where both the setting and the character were unrealistic and irritating, was difficult to get through.

The book did become easier to read after Paige made it to London - or at least less unrealistic - but then commenced the beginning of the relationship between Paige and Ed. There was so much potential for a romance between them, even if it did begin very slowly. However, they didn't really spend much time together, and much of the build-up was simply in their own thoughts. I was okay with this, even if it wasn't what I'd been expecting or hoping for, until the culmination of their flirtation. Ed made a mistake, Paige was (understandably) angry and hurt, Ed said that he hadn't really meant it, and Paige instantly forgave him. Then they got together and everything was alright again. It was incredibly unsatisfying and I was instantly transported back to the land of impossibilities and unreality. If Sisman had just taken some more time with the ending, given Paige a bit more time to get over her anger even, the culmination would have been so much more satisfying. As it was, I was incredibly disappointed with the ending and Paige and Ed's relationship in general.

Perhaps these issues were part of the reason why it took me so long to finish this novel. I didn't often feel like picking it up again when I wasn't reading it. It was decent when I was reading it, but I never felt strongly compelled to continue. It was good enough that I wanted to finish it, though (even if the ending was disappointing). There were scenes that were amusing or interesting, but nothing surprising ever really happened. The summary on the back of the book was basically exactly what happened, condensed. When I read a book, I love to not know what will happen next, to be proven wrong, or to be shocked at a turn of events. I never experienced any of this while reading this story. It was good, certainly, but nothing beyond that.

I've heard some better things about other novels written by Robyn Sisman, but after this book, I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance. Maybe if I were younger and hadn't read as much, I would have been more surprised by different scenes and perhaps enjoyed this book more. As it was though, I would rate this book three stars. It was a light read, although it took me a while to finish it. It would be good for beach reading, or anytime when you can't necessarily devote your entire focus. I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy stereotypical Hollywood actresses, simple romances, and stories set in London.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”