Official Review: Willy's Ballgame by Dennis N. Ricci

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Official Review: Willy's Ballgame by Dennis N. Ricci

Post by easy_dc13 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Willy's Ballgame" by Dennis N. Ricci.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The great American game (Baseball that is) flows through the veins of 28 year-old Willy Mae Beal, seriously. Countless afternoons spent playing ball with her grandfather and learning the bits and pieces of the game from a former pro, combined with genetics and drive, shaped Willy into a potential phenom. But, like any worthwhile story, things won’t immediately fall into place for our Major League hopeful.

Willy’s Ballgame by Dennis N. Ricci is a sports fiction title. I would say that this is the first installment in the series since the conclusion of the book points to a continuation. One thing’s for sure, if you watch Baseball and could keep up with the flow of it, this is the title to read. I wasn’t as familiar with the sport as I was with Basketball and Football so I still had to do a little digging but I settled in nicely.

I, personally, felt that the book was pretty straightforward as far as the flow of the story was concerned. Game after game after game with some off-field parts that, for the most part, didn’t stick much with me. It’s a story centered around Baseball so naturally, games make up a portion of it. I would have preferred a few more off-the-field scenes, from what was presented, to use as a breather from the games, as well as to get to know and relate with the characters better. Maybe the non-baseball scenes could have used a touch more detail to project a better image while reading.

Speaking of characters, I found Willy to be just a little superhuman. I wouldn’t say she’s flawless but I have a hard time remembering parts where she showed much vulnerability. She was presented as the prototypical athlete, possessing all the qualities to enable her to take up any sport with more capability than others. Because of said capability, I thought that it was just a matter of time before she accomplished the first part of her goal, and that the outcome wasn’t in question. It was cool to have a superhero-like protagonist but like all other heroes, I was looking for that one drawback that could make the difference between just thinking about breaking the glass ceiling and actually breaking through.

With that being said, I did feel happy for her when she realized that she would be pitching in the big time, so there’s that. She also had the motivation of realizing her and her grandfather’s dream which drove the story forward, always appreciate character motivations.

I appreciated the attention to detail when it came to Baseball games, as well as the terminologies which were helpful for someone who is not that familiar with the sport. Willy Beal doesn’t resemble much of a flawed character but that doesn’t take away from her likeability which comes from her good-naturedness and inherent ability, I liked her a lot and I’m sure others would too. After all of this, I have decided to give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Willy's Ballgame
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like easy_dc13's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm glad the main character was likable! I think it's great that the author added helpful anecdotes about terminology; I'm not very familiar with the game and think that would be helpful. Great job on the review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I'm not much of a baseball fan so I'm not sure if I would enjoy this book, but I like superhero-like protagonist and I think I'm going to like Willy :) Great job on the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really into baseball or sports much for that matter, but it does sound like a good book. Thanks for the review even if it's not really for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing fictional story that I loved reading and rated 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and represented the book perfectly. The book highlights a great American passtime, baseball.
Izzyest
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Izzyest »

This review was very informative. I'm not much of a baseball fan but Willy sounds like a lead character for the sports fiction.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book centering around Baseball and the first female major league player sounds nice! Too bad there weren't enough off-the-field scenes. It would have spiced the plot. Adding terminologies sure sounds helpful. I am also not a baseball fan, so will skip it. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its flaws, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book is so not right for me.
I don´t care for sports and much less baseball, so I´d probably be bored much of the book. I don´t get the terminology or see the appeal.
I do like strong female characters but not the kind that seems to be flawless. I find them extremely unrealistic.
But thanks for a very honest review!
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Great review, Willy being a female make ot interesting would consider reading a book.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I don't think the sports are a very literary subject. And as I am not interested in reading about baseball games, I will have to pass. I am intrigued by the main character being a female though.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I do not typically like sports novels, but it sounds like it could be interesting. I wonder if a continuation does happen if it will be more off the field or continue to be focused on the game itself?
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am not a fan of baseball, so this story doesn't appeal to me. It is nice to see a strong female protagonist achieve her goals though.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

This book would be great for anyone that is really into baseball. I'm not. I do think this book could also encourage people to follow their dreams.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

It sounds like a fairly interesting read and an opportunity to learn something about the game of baseball. The terminology guide is a plus. I like the fact that she achieved a dream for her grandfather. Thank you for the great review.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This book sounds perfect for baseball fans! The main character sounds determined and well written. I also love that the games are described well with proper terminology. Congrats on book of the day! Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”