February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaRose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Re: February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaR

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

There is one human power that always calls my attentio: the power of imagination, and I would add the power of words, too. It is from recognizable elements that the author creates a new reality and invites us to inhabit in it for a while. I find it very interesting the way religion is also part of the story, as it offers readers another perspective to broaden our horizon.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Jrcole8787
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Jrcole8787 »

Diary of an Immortal by David Jones. Castello

I was only able to read the posted "preview" and it captured my attention immediately. Although I typically do not engage in historical fiction this quickly turned into a story that has obvious potential and abilities to get me 100% engaged and wanting to read the entire book.

Enjoyed the first chapter very much and look forward to being able to read the entire booknow and give an educated review. The writing style and prose are very enjoyable and believeable.

Jerilyn Cole :tiphat:
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

Great review. Liked the premise of the book. I will give some thought to re-visiting this book again.

-- 01 Feb 2017, 16:49 --

Great review. Liked the premise of the book. I will give some thought to re-visiting this book again.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Viscountmelbourne72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Viscountmelbourne72 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the sample chapter, and after reading your review, I am ready for more! I am a fan of fantasy and history, so this story appeals to me greatly. Your review wets my whistle, so to speak, on these aspects. The backdrops of world cities and religious centers of Buddhism fire my imagination. I am eager to find out more about the supernatural journey the protagonist takes. Thank you for your review.
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by dosenron877 »

Throughout the novel, Steven internally struggles to understand the meaning of immortality and questions if everlasting life is actually a good thing. This ongoing battle results in Steven being a strong, well developed and empathetic character.
This is an interesting observation. The strong character is developed as a result of a long on-going struggle, not education, religious training, or parental nurturing. And Steven has definitely experienced struggle, from WWII medical corpsman experiences to survival in a racially charged post-war US environment.

The reviewer pointed out many signposts in Steven's life that the reader can anticipate and then evaluate their effects on Steven' character. This is a very good review.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thank you for the great review! This book sounds so interesting from the blurb itself but your review makes me want to read this book even more! Congrats to the author on being #BOTD!
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Thank u for this in depth review. Great detailed review. The book sounds great, however I do not feel it would be my cup of tea.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I read the sample, it looks to be a good read. Thank you for the detailed review.
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

Thank you for the detailed review! I considered reading this after I saw it was BOTM but I ended up too immersed in another book instead. Reading an honest 4 star rating though may mean I have to put it on my "to read" list.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
2kasmom
Currently Reading: Down And Dirty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2kasmom.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 2kasmom »

What a fantastic review! I think your view on religions and on some of the simple pieces are spot on. Just in my little time of browsing through the selection, I found many pieces that seemed hard to accept with the flow of the story.

It is an unusual book for certain, but I think there will be others who find it fascinating. It does have a handle on the characters, whom often seem like they are over the others. I think I would have given it a lower rating, had it been me - but probably only by one star.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Congrats to the author on a wonderful review and BOTD! This book sounds like it has an intriguing premise, however, this isn't my type of book. I will add it to my list to check out though.
samebcay18
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samebcay18.html

Post by samebcay18 »

This review is really nice.Reading this review takes me for short journey,seems like I already read the book.Makes me excited to read.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

This is a good book. However all of the killing and even using children to help take others lives is very sad. This book is not for everyone because of the content. I enjoyed reading some of it but not all of it.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

I agree with most part of your review. The philosophical perils that immortality can bring has been shown intricately in the book. A good review, nonetheless.:)
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I am so glad to see the Book of the Day become the Book of the Month as well. I can't wait to read David Castello's classic The Diary of an Immortal as it ap[pears to be a very nice book. The cover sets the pace to get into its quest for immortality and setting of the facts of life and setback up to and including serving the country. I give six stars if I could on this, it is going to be such a hot read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”