Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Theory of Talking to Trees" by Karl Dehmelt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stephen Christiansen has not had the easiest lot in life, but things are finally starting to look up. He’s an editor at a publishing company and has successfully published three books despite his young age, one of which is on course to break into the New York Times Best Sellers List. He’s been engaged to the same beautiful woman for 8 years, and he’s ready to get out of their small apartment and move on to the next big step in their lives. Unfortunately, things get waylaid when Stephen steps out of his office for a morning walk – and right into the scene of a robbery.

Things go surprisingly well -- the cops catch the bad guys, he becomes friends with the man he saved, and he only had to go through one surgery to heal his bullet wound. Of course, this is only the calm before the storm. Before he even has time to heal physically, Stephen is bombarded by mental and emotional storms stemming from issues in his personal life. Isaac, the man he saved, is an island he can escape to when it feels like his head is being pulled underwater. However, Isaac has his own storm clouds, schizophrenia being the biggest, hanging over his own head.

The Theory of Talking to Trees is a novel that explores the bond between these two unlikely allies. Karl Dehmeit artfully portrays two men who have nothing going for them, who can barely put one step in front of another on their individual paths in life, and yet who find comfort in each other’s sorrows. The novel focuses deeply on mental illness and the effects it can have on its prisoners. Despite the dark tone and serious discussions, the novel chips out small pinpoints of brightness – hope, compassion, love – in the midst of its stormy currents.

Dehmeit’s writing style is full of passion, and was the backbone for the entire novel. Every thought the characters had, every emotion and subsequent action was fully illustrated with rich and verbose description. At a mere 200 pages, the book could have been the dramatization for a film. More than anything, Dehmeit writes with heartfelt honesty and does not sugarcoat the harsh realities of his characters.

Unfortunately, despite the main character being an editor and the author having such great literary prowess, I found quite a few grammar mistakes throughout the novel. Many of the errors consisted of incorrect comma usage and occurred within dialogue. They were easily ignorable, but the manuscript would have been much neater if those tiny mistakes had been fixed beforehand.

Overall, I believe The Theory of Talking to Trees has earned a solid 3 out of 4 stars. I thought of giving it 4 stars, but the punctuation errors and the sense of restlessness it left me with made me mentally bump it down to 3.5 or lower. It truly is a disturbing novel in many ways, and is not for the faint of heart. There are many mentions of death and suicide, stemming from the aforementioned depression and schizophrenia. The novel may be triggering to some readers. However, readers who are unafraid to step into the world of those struggling with such illnesses will find a rich, literary treasure in their hands.

The Theory of Talking to Trees
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book sounds like a great look at human relationships. It really is too bad about the grammatical errors! Seems like it would be a fantastic read without that - glad you were able to get past the errors and still enjoy the story. Wonderful review!
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

MarisaRose wrote:This book sounds like a great look at human relationships. It really is too bad about the grammatical errors! Seems like it would be a fantastic read without that - glad you were able to get past the errors and still enjoy the story. Wonderful review!
Honestly, the tiny punctuation errors did not bother me at all! I've reviewed books that needed much more editing. :wink: I just thought it should be mentioned, since there are some readers who absolutely can't stand grammatical errors.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This was a very well-done review. The book seems like it packs a lot of punch for such a small page count. Errors usually do bother me because they abruptly stop the flow of the story for me, but I'm glad you were able to overlook them.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Thank you for your review. This book sounds interesting and I will put it on my list for when I am in the mood for something serious.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Julie Ditton wrote:Thank you for your review. This book sounds interesting and I will put it on my list for when I am in the mood for something serious.
Awesome! When you get around to reading it, let me know what you think! :D
WulffHuman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WulffHuman »

Thank you for a well balanced review with usable information. In this day and age of digital publishing, I feel grammar and spelling are essential to correct as they dictate a large part of the readers experience. I am now interested to read this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”