Official Review: American Emerald by David Snow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: American Emerald by David Snow

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Emerald" by David Snow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Snow’s American Emerald is a modern coming of age story about a young Irishman who has decided that his destiny is to go to the United States and join the U.S. Army. Snow takes his readers to the heart of Ireland, the heat of southern Georgia, the mountains of Colorado and Afghanistan, as well as the sands of Iraq. In each place, one feels that one is there with young Dan Flynn, watching him grow up.

When we first meet Dan, he is counting the days until he leaves Donegal, Ireland for Fort Benning, Georgia. He is having his lasts visits with friends and family. The family pub and hotel are the heart of village. Mam and Dad have a hard time believing their son is leaving, and they are trying to make the most of their time with him. During his last week there, their hotel is home to two American sisters, Sandy and Jo. Sandy and Dan are quickly enamored with each other, spending most of their time together. Most think it’s his last fling before the army, but Dan and Sandy think they’re in love. Sandy heads back to Texas and Dan goes to Fort Benning. Watching what happens with their relationship brings unexpected surprises.

Boot camp begins with full immersion into Army life. Keeping in touch with Sandy and his parents is difficult. Dan quickly makes friends with two men, Jelly and Coffee. Training gets easier with time. Dan is discovered to be a natural on the shooting range, but can that really be why he is getting very special treatment? What’s up with the plane tickets to Vail for Christmas? No one else in his unit is having an officer hand them tickets to anywhere. Who is watching out for Dan? Training ends, Dan’s options are not what he expected for the future. His skills are being noticed by the powers that be, who let him know that when he gets back from Afghanistan, he’ll be really going places if he plays his cards right.

Jelly, Coffee, and Dan are closer than ever and are quick to become bunkmates upon arrival in Afghanistan. Dan quickly meets Major Bob Redmond and is tasked with accompanying him on what will be Dan’s first mission. Dan finds combat terrifying and horrifying as they engage in battle, losing men, including a close buddy. Dan’s own injuries, both mental and physical, help him to fully recognize his love for Sandy. Recuperation and the future become the focus as the story reveals its conclusion. Discovery of who has been promoting his skills is astonishing to Dan, but not so much to the reader.

American Emerald truly shows a boy becoming a man. The vivid imagery makes one feel like they are walking on the beaches of Ireland, running up hills in boot camp and facing battle with comrades. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. However, I would not recommend this story to someone battling PTSD, as some of the battle imagery might bring back difficult memories for them.

American Emerald
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This sounds like an interesting book, certainly. How realistic is the PTSD treated? I know that tends to be a very tricky, difficult subject to cover in art.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The premise sounds very unique - a man who wants to move to the US to join the Army. I am going to take a second look at this one.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:This sounds like an interesting book, certainly. How realistic is the PTSD treated? I know that tends to be a very tricky, difficult subject to cover in art.

I would agree that PTSD is difficult to address, even more so in real life than in fiction because of the lives impacted. In "American Emerald", Dan is showing signs of PTSD, his family recognizes it but it doesn't go further than the family trying to help, and his wife wondering if more help is needed. Now that I think about it, it would have been nice if the book gave resources in an appendix for people who want to seek help.

-- 27 Dec 2016, 12:34 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review! The premise sounds very unique - a man who wants to move to the US to join the Army. I am going to take a second look at this one.

I found the premise interesting. I didn't know a person could do that, join the US Army while still living overseas. He moved to the US when he started boot camp. I have to wonder if that is actually possible. On to another research question.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Yeah, I think those are generally good to include if you're going to tackle such a tricky subject.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Yeah, I think those are generally good to include if you're going to tackle such a tricky subject.

I would concur as some readers might recognize the symptoms in someone they know. It would give them a starting point for references. However, as my review stated, I don't recommend this book to people with PTSD. I think it would be difficult for them at points. While much of the story is not set in battle, the parts that are tend to be quite intense.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

This sounds like an amazing book, between the Irish Coast and Afghanistan. Jelly and Coffee seem like interesting characters, and I am interested finding out who is helping Dan behind the scenes. Great job with the review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Silvermoon wrote:This sounds like an amazing book, between the Irish Coast and Afghanistan. Jelly and Coffee seem like interesting characters, and I am interested finding out who is helping Dan behind the scenes. Great job with the review!
Snow did an excellent job describing the topography of both Ireland and Afghanistan. I could really envision being there. If you do read it, please come back and post as to whether or not you figured out who was helping Dan. I thought I knew but with the twists, it was surprising.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Great review! Not exactly my kind of read but I would congratulate the author for getting such a great rating. :D
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

What an engrossing review. Cheers to all our military men and women out there. I highly recommend this book.

Nice review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a great rating. Sounds like a pretty good book. I love that the imagery is so vivid to help us to really feel like we are there. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:That's a great rating. Sounds like a pretty good book. I love that the imagery is so vivid to help us to really feel like we are there. Thanks!
It's amazing when an author can really make us feel like we're there with the characters!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”