Official Review: Attrition by Dwight Daniels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Official Review: Attrition by Dwight Daniels

Post by Silvermoon »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Attrition" by Dwight Daniels.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Attrition by Dwight Daniels is a fiction novel depicting a man's struggles to overcome the childhood abuse he suffered at the hands of his father. Richard Nuttey is an African American growing up in a small community in Texas. Richie's father gradually beat down Richie's spirit and self-esteem through constant assaults, physical and verbal, portraying the realism of the results of abuse.

Richie grew up fearing his father and his father's belt. His mother loved him, but wouldn't stand up for him. Being told every day that he was worthless and that he would never amount to anything took it's toll on Richie. Although he had an upstanding best friend and was fairly popular in school, Richie still felt inferior. To him, a lot of money equaled success and soon his income became his identity. Determined to prove his father wrong and make a lot of money; Richie got a job on his eighteenth birthday. He was ambitious and worked hard. One night at a party, Richie met the girl of his dreams. He worked even harder and asked her to marry him. With their marriage, Richie got a fabulous job that paid him far more than six figures. He bought the large house that he had always coveted and his beautiful wife gave birth to a son. Richie had left his childhood far behind; his life was perfect, and he had everything that he had aspired to possess. Could he maintain that which he had gained? How far behind had he left the effects of his childhood?

It was very nauseating to read, that although Richie's mother loved him, she did nothing to help him. She tried to counteract Richie's pain by telling him how much she loved him. She stood by helplessly and watched her husband beat her son literally, bloody senseless. Richie felt that if his mother had loved him, she would have done something to stop his father. I agreed with Richie. To me, it was horrifying that she was an observer and didn't take any action to prevent it from happening. Even though I understood that she was afraid and a victim herself, I was appalled by her inaction.

I felt that the story was very realistic, in Richie's response to those who cared about him. He was very fortunate to live in such a caring community. Despite his unhappy home life, Richie had people who helped him in loving ways. They liked Richie and wanted to assist him in changing the course that his father had set for him. Richie just had a hard time accepting their love. He understandingly, felt unworthy, because of his parent's lack of love and respect.

Although the town's people were not realistic, the story shows the power a community has if they can open themselves up to love unconditionally. Despite the unreality of the town's love and forgiveness, I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars, because the realism of the impact of abuse is on target and the book is so well written. I enjoyed reading this novel immensely and believe that it would be a choice addition to anyone's library.

Attrition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Silvermoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds amazing! I love stories like this where people overcome obstacles and end up in a much better place. This is going on my to read list. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html

Post by Silvermoon »

It is a great story! I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”